v2.0.0.420; huge increase in RAM used?

Adampk17

Question

Hello!

Yesterday I upgraded Drivepool from v1 to v2.0.0.420 on my WHS 2011 machine.  Well, it's an uninstall then reinstall technically.

Since that time my server, which has 8 GB of RAM, has consistently been using up 95% to 98% of available memory within 6-8 hours.  I reboot the server and the process has repeated itself a handful of times already.

This behavior is new since upgrading to Drivepool 2.0.

Is this a known issue perhaps?   I don't see the drivepool service taking up a lot of memory in task manager, but neither is anything else.  Drivepool 2.0 is the only recent change so I have to suspect it first.

Thanks

Adam

9 answers to this question

Well, if Task Manager isn't showing DrivePool taking up that amount of memory, then it's not. Using the latest beta, I'm seeing 33.9MB of memory usage for the UI application and 35.2MB for the service. That's it, it is a ridiculously small amount for an application to take in 2014. Not to mention the UI is not running all the time.

Overall my server is using 2.2GB out of 8GB, this is Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I would look into the Resource Monitor to get a better idea of what exactly is going on.

BMdoeRU.png

9w7aTQS.png

...and of course it's not doing it at the moment.

I'm beginning to wonder if it had something to do with the fact that since Drivepool 2.x was just installed, and had inherited a 16 TB drivepool, it had a lot of work to do verifying duplication, etc and that may have led to a period where it was consuming a lot of RAM.

Adam (?),

If this happens again, open the task manager. Check for the "DrivePool.Service.exe". If this process is using up a lot of memory (more than 200MBs), then something is definitely wrong. In this case, get a memory dump of the process and submit it to us.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

There is a "memory leak" in the dashboard programs of both DP and Scanner. If you are keeping the dashboard open (after initiating the tabs) the memory usage will continue to climb regardless if tab is active. Closing the dashboard will release the memory.

As long as I'm not doing a lot of work in the dashboard it has not been a problem for me. (I have 8 Gigs of Ram though)

There is a "memory leak" in the dashboard programs of both DP and Scanner. If you are keeping the dashboard open (after initiating the tabs) the memory usage will continue to climb regardless if tab is active. Closing the dashboard will release the memory.

As long as I'm not doing a lot of work in the dashboard it has not been a problem for me. (I have 8 Gigs of Ram though)

If you are experiencing a memory leak via the dashboard specifically because of our products, do let us know.

But unfortunately... the dashboard is very bloated on a stock system, and tends to leak memory like crazy. That's part of why 2.X doesn't use the dashboard as the primary UI.

Specifically, the issue is that each and every tab is a separate DLL, and some of the "sub tabs" are also different DLLs. As are some of the random other links and sections. So when you load the dashboard, it loads the main EXE file, and then a large list of other files. This can easily cause issues, and seems to usually do so.

I'm not saying that we aren't the cause here, or contributing to it... but I've seen this on all sorts of systems. WHS2011, SBS2011E, Server 2012 Essentials, Server 2012 Standard with Essentials Experience, and Server 2012R2 Essentials. With and without our products installed.

But if you're definitely seeing higher usage with our products used, a memory dump of the offending product is very useful for us.

Also, disabling specific Add-Ins can help identify the issue (by using the "safe mode" option on the dashboard to disable certain add-ins).

If you are experiencing a memory leak via the dashboard specifically because of our products, do let us know.

But unfortunately... the dashboard is very bloated on a stock system, and tends to leak memory like crazy. That's part of why 2.X doesn't use the dashboard as the primary UI.

Specifically, the issue is that each and every tab is a separate DLL, and some of the "sub tabs" are also different DLLs. As are some of the random other links and sections. So when you load the dashboard, it loads the main EXE file, and then a large list of other files. This can easily cause issues, and seems to usually do so.

I'm not saying that we aren't the cause here, or contributing to it... but I've seen this on all sorts of systems. WHS2011, SBS2011E, Server 2012 Essentials, Server 2012 Standard with Essentials Experience, and Server 2012R2 Essentials. With and without our products installed.

But if you're definitely seeing higher usage with our products used, a memory dump of the offending product is very useful for us.

Also, disabling specific Add-Ins can help identify the issue (by using the "safe mode" option on the dashboard to disable certain add-ins).

I did mention it, just not officially.  :P  There is no doubt it's a stable bit (DP and Scanner) issue (no other tabs cause it, and it only happen after you have selected either Stable bit tabs), but to be quit frank it doesn't really bother me enough to mess with it, as the memory is released when the dashboard is closed.