CloudDrives Doing Constant Uploads With Nothing In Them

johnw

Question

I'm trying out CloudDrive and DrivePool. I'm impressed with the software, but am seeing an odd situation. I have a pool of eight cloud drives, with nothing in any of the drives (or the pool), yet there is constant upload activity of about 4 Mbs total for all drives (which is all I'm allowing it to do by throttling with NetLimiter sofware). I turned off auto balancing. This has been going on for several hours and sucking up my upload bandwidth. A;ll the cloud drives are reporting small amounts to upload, and that isn't from any files in them. Is there some kind of indexing going on which will eventually be done? Is there some configuration to be considered?

2 answers to this question

When drives are first created there will be some amount of file system data that will be uploaded to your cloud provider. It should not be much more than a few hundred MB per drive, though, and should only take a few minutes to upload for most people.

It's possible that something else, perhaps even Windows itself, is creating some sort of data on the drive. Make sure that Windows' indexing services and page file and recycle bin settings are disabled on the CloudDrive volumes.

In any case, if you are just getting started I would highly discourage you from using eight separate CloudDrive drives unless there is some very specific reason that you need individual drives instead of one large drive split into multiple volumes. CloudDrive can be surprisingly resource intensive with respect to caching and bandwidth, and the difficultly of managing those things compounds pretty quickly for each additional drive you tax your local resources with. If you have like eight separate SSDs to use as cache drives and a 1gbps connection wherein you have little concern for local bandwidth management then, by all means, feel free. Otherwise, though, you should be aware that a single CloudDrive can be resized up to 1PB total, and can be partitioned into multiple volumes just like a local drive. And that CloudDrive itself provides bandwidth management tools within the UI to throttle a single drive.

Thank you srcrist for your input! You bring up some good points I had not considered. I was trying to pool several small clouds to get one big cloud, but now I understand that the overhead can be a problem... so that is not as efficient as simply paying for more cloud place on fewer drives. I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer in such detail. Your input is very helpful!