(pre-sales) Spesific info on what services SB CloudDrive can interface with?

TheStigma

Question

Hey all.

I'm wondering if there is a place I can go to get some more nitty-gritty details about exactly what services SBCD can interface with. I felt that was missing in the otherwise pretty good product features overview. (hope I didn't just overlook something).

I currently use primarily Gdrive (and specifically including some "shared drives", formerly "Teamdrives"). Knowing if SBCD can support those are pretty relevant to me. It seems that not all solution do for whatever reason. Coming from rclone I am also spoiled for having a lot of flexibility - so it would be nice to get an idea of how SBCD compared in that department. The cloud-market is ever changing and data may have to move as the years go by. Having options then can be pretty important.

Love rclone, but I originally came here just to scope out the pooling software solution and I stumbled upon SBCD and saw it uses a block-based approach and kernel mode implementations. Both of those offer up some interesting options I'd love to experiment with at the very least, so I'm considering maybe just going for the bundle. (does it cost a lot more to buy it piecemeal later?).

Somewhat unrelated bonus question: What is SBCD's strategy when it comes to limitations in number of files? I understand 20MB blocks are used for now? It seems like you'd start running into the limits around 10TB. Maybe enough for a typical user, but also hardly a non-issue. It's just the first thought that ran through my mind when I read about the block-level approach and potential pitfalls. Perhaps my ideal solution may use a combination of both, but it's much better to be aware of a reasonable limitation than to find out the unpleasant way :)

Somewhat unrelated bonus question 2: Is Linux support something that is likely to ever happen?

3 answers to this question

I see this hasn't had an answer yet. Let me start off by just noting for you that the forums are really intended for user to user discussion and advice, and you'd get an official response from Alex and Christoper more quickly by using the contact form on the website (here: https://stablebit.com/Contact). They only occasionally check the forums when time permits. But I'll help you out with some of this.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:47 PM, TheStigma said:

nitty-gritty details about exactly what services SBCD can interface with

The overview page on the web site actually has a list of the compatible services, but CloudDrive is also fully functional for 30 days to just test any provider you'd like. So you can just install it and look at the list that way, if you'd like.

I currently use primarily Gdrive (and specifically including some "shared drives", formerly "Teamdrives").

CloudDrive does not support Teamdrives/shared drives because their API support and file limitations make them incompatible with CloudDrive's operation. Standard Google Drive and GSuite drive accounts are supported.

Coming from rclone I am also spoiled for having a lot of flexibility - so it would be nice to get an idea of how SBCD compared in that department.

The primary tradeoff from a tool like rClone is flexibility. CloudDrive is a proprietary system using proprietary formats that have to work within this specific tool in order to do a few things that other tools do not. So if flexibility is something you're looking for, this probably just isn't the solution for you. rClone is a great tool, but its aims, while similar, are fundamentally different than CloudDrive's. It's best to think of them as two very different solutions that can sometimes accomplish similar ends--for specific use cases. rClone's entire goal/philosophy is to make it easier to access your data from a variety of locations and contexts--but that's not CloudDrive's goal, which is to make your cloud storage function as much like a physical drive as possible.

(does it cost a lot more to buy it piecemeal later?).

I don't work for Covecube/Stablebit, so I can't speak to any pricing they may offer you if you contact them, but the posted prices are $30 and $40 individually, or $60 for the bundle with Scanner. So there is a reasonable savings to buying the bundle, if you want/need it.

What is SBCD's strategy when it comes to limitations in number of files?

There is no file-based limitation. The limitation on a CloudDrive is 1PB per drive, which I believe is related to driver functionality. Google recently introduced a per-folder file number limitation, but CloudDrive simply stores its data in multiple folders (if necessary) to avoid related limitations.

Is Linux support something that is likely to ever happen?

Again, I don't work for the company, but, in previous conversations about the subject, it's been said that CloudDrive is built on top of Windows' storage infrastructure and would require a fair amount of reinventing the wheel to port to another OS. They haven't said no, but I don't believe that any ports are on the short or even medium term agenda.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks. Your answers are very much on point and helpful.
Love to see good communities around projects like these. Strong community support can often be just as important as the software.

I totally agree rclone and CD compliment one another more than compete. I understand the fundamental difference in the technical approach, and it's definitely a trade-off either way you slice it I think my ideal solution would be to run both - using rclone for the flexibility, speed and accessibility, while having CD as an option for when very low-level compatibility is needed. While the WinFSP/FUSE mounting rclone uses is for the most part pretty solid there's always a few edge-case apps that require workarounds to work optimally. It would be interesting to see how CD handles these. A primary storage pool with CD or CD/local combination + a daily file-level backup with rclone to a secondary I think would be really powerful and combine many of the benefits of both, so that's something I'd love to experiment with.

I think I was hesitant to check out the 30-day trial before I knew more because I'd be "wasting" my time (30 days to iron the finer details of a long-term storage solution tend to go by fast) but... I'm probably being stupid and should just run the 30-day on a VM and do some tests there. Hopefully the trial works on machine-ID and doesn't hook into your account or something like that?

Shame about the Teamdrive support though. That's where most of my storage is right now, but it's something I might look into changing if the performance results look good enough.
I have a fairly good understanding of the technical differences between teamdrives and personal drives on Gdrive, and there's not actually that many big ones. I'd love to learn more about what spesific limitations makes CD unsuitable for Teamdrives. Although - that might be a topic for another time unless you are feeling particularly inclined (or maybe know of a good existing thread on the topic).

Thanks again for the help :)
-Stigma

I have active instances of both rClone and CloudDrive myself as well. I use an rClone mirror for my data, actually, just as insurance against data loss and to provide flexibility. CloudDrive is my daily driver storage solution, though. I've simply found that it's faster and more compatible with less quirks.

This is the main thread that I can think of where the Team Drive issue has been addressed:

The biggest technical issues mentioned are related to drive integrity because Team Drives allow simultaneous access, and the hard limits on files and folders.