DP 2.x - Pool used/free space weird presentation

Umfriend

Question

Hi all,

I have got this very simple Pool:

1. 2 x 2TB (1.81TB in explorer), pool file duplication on.
  2. The physical drives are E:\ and F:\ and Windows tells me 1.1TB is free on both.
  3. Properties on the poolpart folders tell me 730GB in use for both.

Why is the bar for E:\ that much longer?

Why does the small window that pops-up when I mouse over it not present a legenda and sizes?

If I mouse over F:\,  I get the legenda + sizes. It's the exact same type of HDD. I have tried remeasuring (and it helped a bit, prior to that the bar for E:\ was wholly blue and it got me freaking that it might be nearly full).

I know systemvolumeinformation can be obfuscating but in this case it is empty on F:\ and just 2.95GB on E:\ and that is the Ünusable for duplication" below Pool Options.

Edit: Properties also tells me exact same number of files/size in both poolpart folders, I have no reason to assume any file is not dumplicated.

Kind rgds,

Umf

Edited by Umfriend
Deleted image to free up space

13 answers to this question

Rechecking as I write:

1. Yes, both show up as 1.82TB drives in the DP small mouse-over window (what's that called anyway?). The F:\ however states Duplicated 730 GB, Other 378MB, Free space 1.11TB. E:/ just does not give any info (see attachment previous post).
  2. In Windows Explorter, they show as same capacity and free space (bar 0.01TB) which is due to sysvolumeinformation. If I do a properties tab on both poolpart folders I get the exact same number of files , space used and space on disk.
  3. I then press remeasure again. The bars get equally long, both grey (as does the big circle graph), both mouse-overs show data on space.
  4. What I find strange is that the bottom bar is expanding/shrinking over and over and above it it says "Balancing..."?!?
  5. An OCD-note: is there any way it could show _progress_, so " xx% done"?
  6. How long should it take, it's 20 minutes now. Numbers have been all over the place, i.e., Unduplicated went from 237MB to 65GB and then back, as if it starts over.
  7. From Resource Monitor I learn that DP.Service.exe is not actually having a lot of IO.
  8. 40 mins now, I need to go. WIll RDP in from work.

I've taken quite a few screenprints from the DP in the Dashboard, if you want I can mail/upload them somewhere.

Sorry for the delay in response here. I wasn't entirely sure how to answer here. Rather, I had a good idea, but I wanted to wait til I was more awake and alert.  And to give myself time to think about it.

I'm not sure why why it would be displaying these drives differently. In fact, from what you describe, it should not be.

Could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact ?

And get a dump of the DrivePool.UI.exe (if you load that) or the "Dashboard.exe" (as you have that open). As well as the DrivePool.Service.exe process.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Dashboard_Freeze

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

As it happens, I am copying a lot of data around for a 2TB Server Backup limit test. Anyroad, I am copying data to the two Pool drives (but outside the poolpart folders) and I would expect that space usage to be shown as "Other", which is true. However, the mouse-over window for the E:\ drive is now showing data. 871 GB duplicated. F:\ is at 736GB duplicated.

They should not differ and according to Windows Explorer Properties of the poolpart folders, 736 is valid for both and correct. But the 145GB discrepancy might well explain the difference in bars' lenghts.

In the test I was backing up both drives making the Pool. Usually I only backup E:\.

As part of the test, I also wrote about 160GB to the Pool (so in effect I wrote 320 GB). Test was succesful by the way and fixed my issue with DP as well but it remains weird. I also have a number of screenshots taken during the remeasuring prior. Would those be worthwhile? The fun thing is that you see numbers al over the place for e.g. duplicated.

I uploaded a spreadsheet to the Servive Memory Dump location. It shows consequtive screenprints during a remeasuring operation after which the issue persisted. I fear I've not taken one at the end of the operation (which lasted a few hours). Some data counters appear to move back and forth between Unduplicated and Other.

As said, I can no longer recreate this issue and at no time has there been an indication that there were actually undupicated files where they shouldn't. It's just the counters/bar that seemed to be erroneous.