Duplicate an SSD, but always force read off the SSD?

sfalexi

Question

I'm looking to add my gaming SSD to the drivepool to take advantage of the duplication (in the event of some wierd SSD corruption, I still have latest game data and don't have to redownload).

Is there a way to add the SSD to drive, prevent it for being used as a drive to store duplicate data, and also ALWAYS force Steam or U-play or whatever to read/write from the SSD, and not try to "read stripe" and read/write files from the duplicated portion which is on a WD Red?  Thanks!  I also have another question, but it's totally unrelated so it's in a separate thread.

Lex

EDIT - How's this for a possible solution.... a little convaluted... but hear me out....

Add the SSD to the drivepool.  Uncheck duplicated and unduplicated in Drive Usage Limiter, therefore (if this does what I think it'll do) keeping any files being written to that drive unless I manually go to the hidden directory and write the files myself.  Then point Steam, U-play, and any other programs to the direct path (through the hidden directory) of THAT drive, not to the pooled letter.  Therefore forcing them to access the SSD directly... but the contents of the SSD ALSO are viewable, and therefore able to be duplicated, by the larger drivepool?  Does that seem like it'll work?

2 answers to this question

9 hours ago, sfalexi said:

I'm looking to add my gaming SSD to the drivepool to take advantage of the duplication (in the event of some wierd SSD corruption, I still have latest game data and don't have to redownload).

Is there a way to add the SSD to drive, prevent it for being used as a drive to store duplicate data, and also ALWAYS force Steam or U-play or whatever to read/write from the SSD, and not try to "read stripe" and read/write files from the duplicated portion which is on a WD Red?  Thanks!  I also have another question, but it's totally unrelated so it's in a separate thread.

Lex

EDIT - How's this for a possible solution.... a little convaluted... but hear me out....

Add the SSD to the drivepool.  Uncheck duplicated and unduplicated in Drive Usage Limiter, therefore (if this does what I think it'll do) keeping any files being written to that drive unless I manually go to the hidden directory and write the files myself.  Then point Steam, U-play, and any other programs to the direct path (through the hidden directory) of THAT drive, not to the pooled letter.  Therefore forcing them to access the SSD directly... but the contents of the SSD ALSO are viewable, and therefore able to be duplicated, by the larger drivepool?  Does that seem like it'll work?

No, that won't work at all.

You can't duplicate and then force reads to only come from one disk. You would need a second SSD, and some file placement rules so that only your game folders are allowed on those disks.

edit: why not just make a scheduled task to run a backup of the relevant game folders on the SSD, and copy them to the Drivepool in a "Game Backups" folder? Just a little batch file with some copy commands, then Task Scheduler to run it once a week?

On 7/17/2020 at 7:01 AM, Chris Downs said:

No, that won't work at all.

You can't duplicate and then force reads to only come from one disk. You would need a second SSD, and some file placement rules so that only your game folders are allowed on those disks.

edit: why not just make a scheduled task to run a backup of the relevant game folders on the SSD, and copy them to the Drivepool in a "Game Backups" folder? Just a little batch file with some copy commands, then Task Scheduler to run it once a week?

Ok.  How about this option....

• add my SSD as a normal drive.  (I have all my file placement rules so ALL data goes to a specific drive, I don't drag anything to the drivepool without having file placement know which specific disk to put it on.. so I can avoid having files created on the SSD unless it's from a game installer)
  • I can point my game installation settings to point to the hidden folder in the SSD, therefore installing all games directly to the SSD.  This should also force all games to READ data from the SSD, since something like Steam is looking directly in the hidden folder on the SSD, not my giant drivepool letter.
  • Mark SSD as "unduplicated" in "Drive Usage Limiter", which should keep drivepool from placing duplicated files on it, but drivepool should take the SSD files and duplicate them on one of the other disks?

Does this seem like it would work?  I do have one OTHER backup idea, but it would require scheduled syncing of folders and I'd rather it change closer to realtime or have everything done with one program (drivepool) instead of two.

Lex