Duplication questions

whitewraith

Question

I am hoping someone can fill in some gaps I have in understanding the duplication part of this product to protect against data loss.  I currently have 5 drives totaling 30TB of space in a pool and want to be able to recover the data should anyone of the individual drives fail. If I choose to duplicate feature in drive pool does that mean in essence needing another 30TB of space?  Is the backup a bit for bit duplication or is it a parity kind of situation where it can recreate the data that is lost?

4 answers to this question

On 7/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, whitewraith said:

I am hoping someone can fill in some gaps I have in understanding the duplication part of this product to protect against data loss.  I currently have 5 drives totaling 30TB of space in a pool and want to be able to recover the data should anyone of the individual drives fail. If I choose to duplicate feature in drive pool does that mean in essence needing another 30TB of space?  Is the backup a bit for bit duplication or is it a parity kind of situation where it can recreate the data that is lost?

It literally duplicates the data, so a 30TB pool has space for 15TB of data if you select 2x, 10TB if you selected 3x, etc. It will still show as 30TB in Explorer though. So yes, if you have 30TB of actual data, you need 60TB of disks for 2x duplication.

18 hours ago, whitewraith said:

Ok then this is not the software for me. How can I remove the pool and keep all the data intact and put back where it used to belong?

The files in the pool are stored in a hidden folder in the root of each drive. Change your Explorer options to show hidden files, and navigate into the long-named folder starting with "PoolPart." and you will see all your files and a ".covefs" folder at the top. Simply move everything except the ".covefs" folder out to another location. Where did it used to belong?
If the old home of the data is still available, you can copy the content of each PoolPart folder to the same place, and it will all merge in the usual Windows Explorer manner - ie, with that popup to confirm merge/overwrite.
If the old home is not available, just copy the file to the root of each disk. When you are done with that part, you can delete any remaining hidden folders.

Hopefully that's clear? 

image.png.d805eec64f993e08c1c91b916477c15d.png