turning off balancing

bobfornowt

Question

just wondered how drivepool works if i turn off automatic balancing. That way i can keep my folder structure across drives until a drive is near to full. But what happens at that point?. when a drive doesnt have enough space for the data that is being copied over and you have balancing turned off? does the copy fail or will drivepool then use another drive in the pool? tx.

7 answers to this question

I'd recommend using the Ordered File Placement Balancer. Why? Here is why:

This plug-in changes StableBit DrivePool's default file placement strategy.

By default, StableBit DrivePool always places new files onto the disk with the most free space. This tends to equalize the amount of free space across all the disks in the pool.

With this plug-in, StableBit DrivePool will place new files in a way that will fill one disk at a time. Once a disk is filled to a pre-set threshold, StableBit DrivePool will then move onto filling the next disk.

This has a number of benefits:

• Files copied at the same time will tend to be on the same disk. Because those files were copied at the same time, it stands to reason that they might be related. It can be beneficial, in terms of file recovery, to have related files be placed on the same disk.
  • You may want StableBit DrivePool to write to one disk at a time in order to implement an efficient power savings policy.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

I think this accomplishes what you want, without disabling balancing.

thanks. From how i understand that works the file structure will be maintained until the first disk is full, from then on any changes will be on a different disk. What i was really wanting was to set up my file structure by placing the root folders on different drives and then drivepool filling those root folders in a structured way until there is no room left on that drive. This way the drives can mirror other drives to a greater extent. Im using drivpool as a backup. So i have 4 drives mirroring 3 main ones that are not part of the pool. I would hve like to keep the backup drives as close to a mirror of the main drives as a possible until they arent big enough and drivepool THEN spans the data amonst the rest of the pool.

Just to point out, the Ordered File placement balancer does try to keep the contents of a folder on the same disk. Which sounds like what you want.

As for disabling the balancer, did you make sure that you unchecked the "Allow balancing plug-ins to force immediate balancing" option is unchecked as well?