Ability to force Drivepool to duplicate to CloudDrive

SteveH

Question

More of a suggestion rather than a question. I've got 4 local drives and 1 CloudDrive in my pool, space on the CloudDrive is very limited so I only want to store specific folders (My Documents) in there. That folder was duplicated twice already (locally) and, using a folder filter, I have blocked all other folders from being stored in the cloud. I changed the duplication of the 'My Documents' folder to x3 thinking that this would then duplicate to the cloud but instead it duplicated locally again. To force duplication to the cloud I needed to set the duplication to x5. Whilst this works I don't really need 4 local copies in addition to the cloud version.

It would be useful to have an option in the file protection menu of DrivePool to specify that a file/folder should be duplicated both locally and remotely to help prevent from local damage i.e. fire or flood.

9 answers to this question

This is the wrong section of the forums for this really, but if you want to force duplication to the cloud, your pool structure is wrong. The issue you're running into is that your CloudDrive volume exists within (and at the same level of priority as) the rest of your pool. A nested pool setup that is used to balance to the CloudDrive and the rest of your pool will allow you more granular control over balancing rules specifically for the CloudDrive volume.

You need to create a higher level pool with the CloudDrive volume and your entire existing pool. Then you can control duplication to the CloudDrive volume and your local duplication independently of one another.

16 hours ago, srcrist said:

This is the wrong section of the forums for this really, but if you want to force duplication to the cloud, your pool structure is wrong. The issue you're running into is that your CloudDrive volume exists within (and at the same level of priority as) the rest of your pool. A nested pool setup that is used to balance to the CloudDrive and the rest of your pool will allow you more granular control over balancing rules specifically for the CloudDrive volume.

You need to create a higher level pool with the CloudDrive volume and your entire existing pool. Then you can control duplication to the CloudDrive volume and your local duplication independently of one another.

Thanks @srcrist that's an interesting idea, I see that there's a topic that discusses nested pools, I'll have a read.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, srcrist said:

I have wanted to do this same thing, but since I already have something like 30TB of data in my box drive and like 25TB in my G Suite drive I can't find an easy way to remove those from the current drive pool and put those 2 into their own pool without evacuating the drives and needing to re-download and re-upload everything again. Any ideas on how you can do this?

Essentially, I have 1 drive pool that is all of my local drives, then I have 1 drive pool that is my local drives pool + my box cloud drive + my G Suite cloud drive
I need to next my box and G Suite cloud drives into their own pool and add that to the pool that currently has my local drives pool and my 2 cloud drives. Does that make sense?

Currently:
L.DP - Local Drive Pool made up of all of my local drives
B.CD - Box Cloud Drive
GS.CD - G Suite Cloud Drive
L+B+GS.DP - Drive Pool made up of my local drive pool (L.DP) and my Box Cloud Drive (B.CD) and my G Suite Cloud Drive (GS.CD)

What I need (without needing to reupload like 50TB+):
L.DP - Local Drive Pool made up of all of my local drives
C.DP - Cloud Drive Pool made up of all of my cloud drives (B.CD+GS.CD)
L+C.DP - Drive Pool made up of my local drive pool (L.DP) and my cloud drive pool (C.DP)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DrivePool actually works at the file system level, while CloudDrive is a block-based tool. You can move all of your data into a DrivePool pool without reuploading anything at all. You just need to move the content to the directory structure created by DrivePool. You'd just move the content on your Box drive to the directory created on your Box drive, and the content on your Gsuite drive to the directory created on that drive. It should be as instantaneous as any other intra-filesystem data move.

Could you explain a little more on how I would move things? I can't assign a cloud drive to multiple drive pools, so I can't take the stuff from one drive pool folder on the cloud drive to a second drive pool folder on the same cloud drive. I am either thinking way too hard about this or there's something I am missing. Please help me out just a little more!

3 hours ago, Burrskie said:

Could you explain a little more on how I would move things? I can't assign a cloud drive to multiple drive pools, so I can't take the stuff from one drive pool folder on the cloud drive to a second drive pool folder on the same cloud drive. I am either thinking way too hard about this or there's something I am missing. Please help me out just a little more!

I guess I'm really not sure what you mean. When you add any drive to a pool, a hidden folder called PoolPart-XXXXXXXXXX will be created on that drive. Any data on that drive that you want to be accessible from within the pool just needs to be placed in that folder. If you're trying to nest the pools, you'll have a hidden PoolPart folder within a hidden PoolPart folder and you'll just need to move all of the data there. In every case, whatever pool you want the data in simply requires that the data be moved to the respective PoolPart folder that contains the data for that drive. Any possible change you want to make simply involves moving data at the file system level either into or out of the PoolPart folder for a given pool. You can restructure any pool you have completely at will.

15 minutes ago, srcrist said:

I guess I'm really not sure what you mean. When you add any drive to a pool, a hidden folder called PoolPart-XXXXXXXXXX will be created on that drive. Any data on that drive that you want to be accessible from within the pool just needs to be placed in that folder. If you're trying to nest the pools, you'll have a hidden PoolPart folder within a hidden PoolPart folder and you'll just need to move all of the data there. In every case, whatever pool you want the data in simply requires that the data be moved to the respective PoolPart folder that contains the data for that drive. Any possible change you want to make simply involves moving data at the file system level either into or out of the PoolPart folder for a given pool. You can restructure any pool you have completely at will.

Yeah. the issue I have is the cloud drive that has everything is already part of a pool, so I can't remove it from the pool to add it to a pool I will nest. Make sense?

5 minutes ago, Burrskie said:

Yeah. the issue I have is the cloud drive that has everything is already part of a pool, so I can't remove it from the pool to add it to a pool I will nest. Make sense?

No. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm just not understanding the problem. If you want to nest your existing pool, you can just add it to a new pool and move the data to the new PoolPart folder that will be created within the pool you already have. If you want to, for some reason, break your existing pool apart, delete the pool you have, and create a new pool to nest with another pool...you'd just move all of the data out of your PoolPart folder, remove the drive from your existing pool, create the new one, and move the data to the PoolPart folder that you want it to be in.

The major point here is that since DrivePool works at the file system level, all of the data is accessible (and modifiable) as existing files and folders on your drive. You can move and shuffle that around however you choose simply using Windows Explorer or another file manager. No matter what structure you want your pools to have, it's just a matter of moving data from one folder to another. It's entirely up to you.

18 minutes ago, Burrskie said:

And to be very clear: though you cannot add your drive to multiple pools, you can add your pool to another pool, which is the proposal here.

Thus, you can have, say, your pool of local drives and your pool of cloud provider drives both together in a master pool which can be used to duplicate between both subpools.