Migrating from physical to hyper-v

denywinarto

Question

I'm in a process of migrating to hyper-v 2019, been reading some forum post but still a bit unclear about the process.

1. Should i passthrough the drives or the HBA card? With DDA looks like it's possible to just passthrough the HBA?

2. I read SMART isnt passed if i passthrough the drives, is this also the case for HBA passthrough?

10 answers to this question

On 7/13/2020 at 5:03 AM, denywinarto said:

I'm in a process of migrating to hyper-v 2019, been reading some forum post but still a bit unclear about the process.

1. Should i passthrough the drives or the HBA card? With DDA looks like it's possible to just passthrough the HBA?

2. I read SMART isnt passed if i passthrough the drives, is this also the case for HBA passthrough?

I pass through the HBA for Drivepool. I use Dell Perc H310 cards and the SMART data is all visible, as it should be because my Windows VM has direct access to the HBA.

edit: Wrong Chris I know, but hopefully helpful? ;) 

11 minutes ago, denywinarto said:

Thanks chris, how long have you been doing it? Is it stable enough?

Also there is something i forgot to ask, were you able to passhthrough the igpu as well?

I will need it for emby and blue iris i think

You should be able to pass the iGPU, but I am using old Xeons so I can't test it. Keep in mind that you then lose the host video if you do that. I'm no Hyper-V expert though, I use Proxmox.
I do know that all four of these options need to be ticked when adding a PCIe GPU in proxmox:image.png.bf48c2b3cf1f2d5fc7f95fff6118380e.png

Is the Hyper-V equivalent obvious to you? I've only ever used Hyper-V on my local PC for testing and no passthrough.

I have been testing VM pass-through of my HBAs for over a year now, and just moved my bare-metal machines over to VMs as the setup passed my testing to my satisfaction. Remember to de-activate your bare-metal Drivepool/Scanner licenses FIRST though... or you'll end up pestering Mr Drashna to get that mess fixed.

Although my storage server is Windows based, I've gone with VMware ESXi for my hypervisor. PCI Passthrough is pretty straightforward to setup and I've got my Perc H310 passed through to my storage server VM. My other machines are all Linux based, accessing the drive pool over Samba.

I have a funny feeling Hyper-V doesn't do PCI passthrough at all, or if it does it's not very good.

29 minutes ago, KingfisherUK said:

Although my storage server is Windows based, I've gone with VMware ESXi for my hypervisor. PCI Passthrough is pretty straightforward to setup and I've got my Perc H310 passed through to my storage server VM. My other machines are all Linux based, accessing the drive pool over Samba.

I have a funny feeling Hyper-V doesn't do PCI passthrough at all, or if it does it's not very good.

Yeah, strangely the machine script says my lsi-9300 8e cant be passthrough'ed

So I tested with esxi as well. It worked but there is one issue that makes the setup not ideal, to passthrough the igpu, i have to disable svga, thus i lose console display and i have to rely on rdesktop alone. Not ideal for 24/ server IMO

Are you by any chance also pasthru your gpu / igpu?

I have a separate linux VM for Plex with a dedicated Nvidia GPU passed through to it for encode/decode. Since it's running Ubuntu Server with no GUI, I access it over SSH when necessary so disabling the SVGA wasn't an issue.

I believe you can have two GPU's, i.e. the esxi default svga and the iGPU passthrough but I'm not sure if/how you can specify which one it should use.

5 hours ago, KingfisherUK said:

I believe you can have two GPU's, i.e. the esxi default svga and the iGPU passthrough but I'm not sure if/how you can specify which one it should use.

Any links for this? Have you seen people achieve it?

I could make windows detect them both in device manager, by still enabling the svga, but running gpu-z gives me svga as the detected gpu.

I'm also using the igpu for blueiris so im forced to use windows

Unfortunately I'm only using the GPU passthrough on Linux, so can't say exactly how it will behave in Windows.

A quick Google search for BlueIris on ESXi does bring up a lot of people doing it, but - as you say - having to disable the SVGA device, which gives you no console display via the ESXi web interface. That said, you could always use RDP, Teamviewer or similar to access the Windows machine (I use RDP to access my Windows based storage VM).