How you recover files from backup?

billis777

Question

I plan to move my drive pool to new hard drives. If one of the new hard drives fails how can i recover the data from the old hard drives?

I assume i would have to put the old hdds back into the drive pool but hown can i have the drive pool check the old hard drives and copy the missing data to the new hard drives?

6 answers to this question

If you have the ability to run the new disks at the same time as the old ones, you could just make a new pool with the new drives, and copy the data across without involving Drivepool directly? Then when you're done, just shutdown the PC and remove the old drives physically (don't remove them in Drivepool). In the event that the new disks fail, you then have a complete physical copy of the pool to fall back to.

The new pool doesn't even have to be made on the same machine - use a 30 trial install of Drivepool on a second PC to make the new pool, copy the files over the network? Once it finishes, all you have to do is remove all the old disks on the first PC and move the new ones in place. Since Drivepool doesn't care about the physical disks, and uses the data on the disks, it should immediately work. You can then store the old disks away as a fall-back option, as they will still be "in a pool", making access really simple.

15 minutes ago, billis777 said:

Thank you Chris, i'm kinda still confused, i hope it doesnt come to it lol.

I was thinking copy all files from old hdds to the new pool and skip existing files, is this a good idea?

What do you mean by skip existing? Surely they are empty if they are new?

i mean in the case scenario one hard drive goes bad from the pool with the new hdds, now i dont know which data i'm missing, so i pull up my old hdds and copy over everything to the pool skipping existing files instead of overwrite them. that's the idea i had in mind and can understand, if there's abetter way and you guys can provide me step by step instructions that would be great!