Feature Request: Pin/Cache of all thumbnails.

Jword602

Question

I would like a pinning option to pin all the thumbnails of a drive and store that locally so next time we attach or open up a folder we don't have to wait minutes sometimes 10+ minutes for the thumbnails to show. My playback of files is perfect I can open a video play it in it entirety and still not have the thumbnail populate. So I think an option to pin that thumbnails is a great option to create a more native experience with he cloud drive. 

5 answers to this question

Because CloudDrive is a block-based system, it has no real awareness of the files on your drive. Drastic changes would have to be made in order to allow for pinning at a file-based level. I believe there is already a request in the tracker for a similar feature to this, but i doubt we'll see any action on it any time soon. Christopher will have to share details on that, if he has them.

In any case, you can disable the thumbnail wait entirely by simply changing the folder type to "General Items." This can be done an an entire drive or folder tree as well. Windows will no longer try to load or generate thumbnails if you do so.

3 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You could do so by having the CloudDrive disk in a pool with a local disk, and using the file placement rules, though. 

Yeah,,, I just installed drive pool, How would I set it up so that I just read from it and it cache my thumbnails? I dont want to write anything since my drive is read only anyways, I just want to have my thumbnails cache for my viewing pleasure. 

Windows 10 can be prevented from creating thumbs.db on network drives using gpedit.msc - but on local ones, it should not be creating them, as W10 uses a central thumbnail and icon cache located at C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

So no need to turn off caching, just fire up gpedit.msc (from [WinKey]+R ) and change the following entry to "Enabled".
image.thumb.png.9bb4acf5c042a57da02e07240e3e5665.png