Current Pending Sector Count

eagleknight

Question

I have a 3TB WD Red I dropped into the system. It has been on for about 70 days now. I did the first full scan at around 50 days and I have 2 count for the current pending sector. Should I be worried about this?  I have read the next time it trys to write to that location it should change it to the allocated sectors. Read error rate is at 66 currently and a 6000ms spin up, but those report green. Could it just have been a small bad area and it should be ok?

1 answer to this question

Actually, this happens naturally during the life of the disk. Normally, it will reallocate the sector eventually or recover it. But it usually is invisible to the end user.

A chkdsk /r pass on the disk may "clear" up the setting (but likely increase the Reallocated sector count).

And here is the definition from wikipedia:

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.[32] However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.