Drive pool + Cloud Drive = Active backup?

wakirk2002

Question

Hi,  I got a question:

Ok, Here's what I am starting with:

Local Machine

D:  2 GB
 E:  5 GB
 F:  3 GB

Local Network Server  Windows Fire Share
Lots of space.

Network: 10 gbit network.

Now, what I want to do: (already tried, actually)

1st pool:  Local Pool   D: E: F:   No duplication, just 1 big 10 GB pool.  "Local Pool Drive" is the name.
2nd pool: Cloud Drive, Windows File Share Provider, 10 GB disk, no encryption.   "File Share Drive" is the name.

3rd Final Pool
+"Local Pool Drive"
+"Fire Share Drive"

Some folders like my Steam Games I don't want to duplicate because Steam is my 'backup' 

I set this up, but something went backwards as it seems to be trying to put the un-duplicated files on File Share Drive, which is not what I want.
I am currently taking my files back off to be able to rebuild this.  I think I've set some stuff up wrong.  I understand the basics, but I am missing something 
in the details.

Now, my thinking was to allow me to have a local 10 GB drive, and a 10 GB mirror on my file server.  So, I get the best of both worlds.
it seems it can "Technically" do this.  What I would like to know is, when reading files, will I get local copy reads, or is everything going to grind to a halt 
with Server Reads?  Is there a way to force local reads?   I expect a cache would hide the uploads unless I went crazy on it.  (hint, I copied all my files on it, it went crazy.) but, I was hoping 
for a Quazi live backup.  So, I get full use of my local disk sizes and have a live backup if a drive ever failed or I wanted to upgrade a disk.

Is this one of those "yea, it can, but it doesn't work like you think" or "yea, your just doing it wrong" things.

What are the best options for Could Drive (pinning, network IO settings, cache size, drive setup settings)
What are the best Local Disk options, D: E: F: and the Local Disk

oh, and as a nutty side note, I tend to play games that like SSDs, I have a C: SSD but it's limited in size, (yea, I know, buy a new one, ... eventually I will)
so, I would like to setup those games along side my others and add C: to D: E: and F: and tell it no files go on C: cept for the ones I say and EVERYTHING
just looks like a D: drive because the actual drive letters will be hidden in disk manager. so, If I want to move a game into or off of my C:, Drive pool SHOULD
make it as easy as clicking a couple of boxes right?

That's a lot so summary:

Can I force local reads when using a pool of Local Pool and Could Drive Pool together?
Can I force certain files into specific drives only?  (seems I can, just want to confirm)
Can specific folders not be duplicated?  (again, I think I know how, but there's a larger context here.)
Can I do the above 3 at once?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

19 hours ago, wakirk2002 said:

Can I force local reads when using a pool of Local Pool and Could Drive Pool together?

If you have duplication enabled, then it will do so, automatically, as long as read striping is enabled.

Can I force certain files into specific drives only?  (seems I can, just want to confirm)

You can use the File Placement Rules to do so. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Placement

Can specific folders not be duplicated?  (again, I think I know how, but there's a larger context here.)

Yup. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Protection#Per-Folder File Duplication

You can set it to x1 to disable duplication. 

Can I do the above 3 at once?

Yes!

13 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

If you have duplication enabled, then it will do so, automatically, as long as read striping is enabled.

You can use the File Placement Rules to do so. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Placement

Yup. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Protection#Per-Folder File Duplication

You can set it to x1 to disable duplication. 

Yes!

Ah, the thing I didn't have was stripping enabled.  I was worried that was going to slow it down.  Once I get the mess I made cleaned up, will give that a shot, Thanks!

On 7/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

welcome!  And Read Striping is enabled by default on DrivePool, but is worth double checking. 

Thanks.  yea, I think I got it now.  still busy making a mess of things, but I am getting the hang of it.
Plus, windows decided to drop a big update on my head in the middle of it, but it's still good. 
I rebuilt the drives, and picked some better settings.
I do have an interesting question tho,

What's the best Storage Chunk Size for a 1gbit network connection to a windows file share?
both machines are modern, and all devices on the LAN are at 1gbit. 

Too small seems to make everything work really hard, and too bit seems to slow things down, a lot.

I have a number of projects that have both large sets of small files (source code projects) and some Video Projects that get into the 1GB~10GB range.

TL;DR What would you recommend for the Storage Chunk Size, Cache Size, and Prefetch for a 1 Gbit LAN and windows file share server?

Thanks!!!