wd elements 10tb shucked, spin down possible?

billis777

Question

5 answers to this question

Thanks i found out the 10tb elements hdd is using the 3.3v pin to spin it down and when connected internally to a computer the computer doesnt use that signal so it cannot spin down.

Why wd makes things complicated, i tried so hard to find me a10tb air hdd and now i was forced to buy a helium so my computer doesnt sound like jet engines.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:56 AM, billis777 said:

Thanks i found out the 10tb elements hdd is using the 3.3v pin to spin it down and when connected internally to a computer the computer doesnt use that signal so it cannot spin down.

Why wd makes things complicated, i tried so hard to find me a10tb air hdd and now i was forced to buy a helium so my computer doesnt sound like jet engines.

SAS disks use that 3.3v pin too for power control. You could try the second solution suggested here: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

It is likely that while your PSU doesn't make use of the 3.3v signalling, it may still be supplying it, preventing spin-down? Try the molex-sata adapter suggestion in the link, and see if that helps? If it does, you could go for the more fiddly pin-tape option in the first solution.