How to sort by name - which method?

thepregnantgod

Question

I have about 26 drives.

Currently, I have them named Disk 1 through Disk 26.  However, when I sort them by the name column, it goes Disk 1, Disk 11, Disk 2, Disk 21, etc.

Is there a better naming convention to use so I can sort by name?

I thought using Disk A, Disk B, Disk C, but for some reason that didn't work either.

I know this is OCDish...but I like to keep track of the drives and sorting by name is a good way for me.

7 answers to this question

I wonder which software does that. Windows does not in explorer. Excel does not if you sort by a column with such values. SQL Server does not. I really can't think of software that realises that if there are numbers in a string/textfield, it should sort by parsing numbers out of text and use that as a sort parameter. In fact, this is a feature/innovation that might still be patentable ;-)

I wonder which software does that. Windows does not in explorer. Excel does not if you sort by a column with such values. SQL Server does not. I really can't think of software that realises that if there are numbers in a string/textfield, it should sort by parsing numbers out of text and use that as a sort parameter. In fact, this is a feature/innovation that might still be patentable ;-)

Anything is patentable anymore. Depending on the country you live in. But that's another discussion.

But yes, most sort "1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4"

This is one of those long standing issues I have with Scanner/DP, sorting by preceding 0 should really be native, I shouldn't have to do it.

Flagged for Alex. I can't say if it will be changed .... but it definitely won't, if it's not brought up.

For reference, this is the "bug" I've created for this issue:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/1169

But the actual disk number sorts properly, just not the name. And that's the issue you have, correct?