Duplication space problem using Drive Usage Limiter

nicopolous

Question

I have a drive that's unreliable in my pool, so I've used the Drive Usage Limiter balancer to allow only duplicated files on that drive.  I've got the balancers in the following order:

1) StableBit Scanner

2) Drive Usage Limiter

3) Duplication Space Optimizer

4) Prevent Drive Overfill

The suspect drive is almost empty and the other drives have significant amounts of duplicate files on.  I was expecting the balancing run to move a lot of duplicate files to the one marked for duplication only, so it frees up maximum free space on the pool and maximises the duplication space.  However, it doesn't and leaves the suspect "duplication" drive almost empty.  There isn't much space available on the remaining drives and so although I've got a reported 8TB of free space, if I try and copy a 1TB file to the pool, it reports I don't have enough free space (as there isn't enough free space on any of the individual drives - except the one for duplication only and I'm copying the 1TB file to a folder with no duplication on it, so can't copy to that drive).

Screenshots attached that show what I'm talking about.

Any help appreciated!

Untitled picture3.png

Untitled picture2.png

Untitled picture.png

1 answer to this question

On 7/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, nicopolous said:

was expecting the balancing run to move a lot of duplicate files to the one marked for duplication only,

Nope.  StableBit DrivePool actively avoids moving data around like that.  In fact, in only moves data in very specific circumstances.  However, with how full some of those disks are, it may trigger the "prevent drive overfill" balancer to move some of the data. 

That said, if you want to force it to move some of the data over, you can use the "Disk Space Equailizer" balancer plugin.  This should help rebalance the data. 
StableBit DrivePool Balancer Plugins