Disks full - How to replace with larger disks.

ppitkin

Question

Hi,

I've been using Drivepool V1 on my WHS2011 for quite some time now and have come to the point that I need to upgrade the size of my disks. I have read the manuals but there is no mention of the best process to follow in order to do this.

I have 4 * 3TB drives in my server (this is the maximum number of drives I can fit into it) and they are configured as a single pool. I have no folder or file duplication.

I wish to replace each of the 3 TB drives with a 4TB drive. What is the best way to do this? There is no space available to move the contents of one drive onto the other drives - I only have a couple of Gigs free space left!

I have the ability to attach a new drive to a USB port if this helps.

thanks.

10 answers to this question

First, I am not a Drivepool pro and this is just what I would do if I were in your position and cannot guarantee your data. First, is it the number of drive that can fit into the case or is it the number of SATA port you have available.  If it is the number of SATA ports you could try getting a SATA card.  You could also use the USB option you said you had.  Attach a new 4TB drive by USB, add it to the pool, then remove one of the 3TB disks.  Drivepool should move your files to the attached USB 4TB disk when you remove the 3TB disk in drive pool using the remove disk option(Will take a long time over USB).  Then add another 4TB drive where the 3TB disk was once the files are moved off of it, add to the pool and remove another 3TB disk and repeat.  When you have removed the last 3TB drive add the 4 TB disk that you have attached to USB into your server.  If it is not automatically added back to the pool do it manually and your files should be all back.  If anyone else here can verify that my suggestion would indeed work(or not) please speak up.

edit

Or, since drashna beat me by 2 minute, follow his suggestion lol

Drashna, thanks for the link but that discusses migrating from an old whs system to a new one. All I want to do is copy the contents of my 4 3 TB drives onto 4 new 4 TB drives.

Will drive pool still work if I simply clone each drive? I have an external device that allows me to clone any drive including going from a smaller drive onto a larger one. Will drivepool be able to use the drive?

Dane, good suggestion. I wasn't sure if drivepool would allow me to add external or USB drives to the pool. This is the approach I will try if cloning is not supported.

Okay, so you just want to swap them out.

If they're already in the pool, and you have the connectors, just add them to the pool, and remove the old disks from the pool. That's the recommended way.

If you don't have the connectors, that gets a bit more complicated.

And we don't really recommend imaging/cloning the drives, because of how DrivePool works (you will cause issues if both disks are attached)

And as long as the system recognizes the disks as hard drives, or USB hard drives, they can be added to the Pool.

However, I recommend using USB drives for the pool for extended periods of time. Mostly because USB devices are prone to power supply failures. And they are not as stable as SATA connections.

Hi,

I am just hijacking this old topic because it perfectly represents the problem I am having right now.

Since I can't add a new HDD to the pool and have DrivePool copy everything from the old to the new drive, my prefered solution would be the following:

- shutdown the server

- remove one Pool-HDD and clone it to new HDD on different PC using TrueImage (Partition will be automatically expanded to new disk size)

- insert cloned HDD in Server

- start up Server

Is this as save way to do, or will DrivePool have problems with the suddenly changing disk-size of one Pool drive?

And we don't really recommend imaging/cloning the drives, because of how DrivePool works (you will cause issues if both disks are attached)

Having two identical drives in the pool would not happen in my case.

---

Zefiris

I'd recommend against cloning in general. 

In this case, here is what I'd recommend specifically:

1. Disabling Balancing in the Pool options.
  2. Power off the system and physically remove the drive in question
  3. Copy the contents of the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder to the root of the new drive.
  4. Place the new drive in the system, and power up.
  5. Remove the missing drive from DrivePool. 
  6. Add the new disk to the Pool.
  7. On the new disk, move the contents of the disk into the newly created PoolPart folder.
  8. Repeat for all the disks in the system that you wish to replace.
  9. Remeasure the pool, or reset its settings. Restore the balancing settings to the settings you prefer. 

The is the best way, as this doesn't mess with or clone the metadata for the disk, which can cause issues.

I recently purchased a power supply and sata to usb connector. It did not cost much from ebay.

It allows me to connect a hard drive when there is no physical bay left.

It is ideal in this sort of scenario because you can connect it externally, add to the pool, then remove an internal drive from the pool. When all that is done, pop open the case take out the internal drive and add the one you had on the usb connector.

Start up and all is well!