Cannot write to pool "Catastrophic Failure (Error 0x8000FFFF)", cannot remove disk from pool "The Media is Write Protected"

cocksy_boy

Question

Hi All,

I had a really odd error that has left one of my pools not working correctly. I shit my system down as per normal and when i bought it back up, Drivepool sent me an error saying a disk was missing. The disk appeared in Disk Management but was not initialised. So I shut down and checked the connections, and rebooted a couple of times and the drive came back up, Drivepool found it and subsumed it back into the pool.

However, whenever I try and write to the pool, or the individual drive that disappeared and came back, I get the windows error: Catastrophic Failure (Error 0x8000FFFF). Googling this wasn't much help, so I thought I'd remove it from the pool and re-add it, which is when DrivePool came up with the error: "The Media is Write Protected". The other drive in the pool is fine, but I can't do anything in the pool or the other drive.

Any ideas how to resolve this?!

DrivePool Error.png

Error Code.png

6 answers to this question

Hi! I have the same issue, but worse. After this error code I rebooted my PC, and it took about 5 minutes to boot up again, and when it booted I noticed that the drive - that produced the error code when I tried to make new folder - was missing. It isn't shown in file manager and in the disk manager neither. Now I don't know what to do... 

On 11/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Smiley said:

Hi! I have the same issue, but worse. After this error code I rebooted my PC, and it took about 5 minutes to boot up again, and when it booted I noticed that the drive - that produced the error code when I tried to make new folder - was missing. It isn't shown in file manager and in the disk manager neither. Now I don't know what to do... 

I don't know if you are using any Scanner software to monitor your HDDs, but if you are not, I have found that free version of Hard Disk Sentinel does a great job in testing and reporting the drive health. I had problems with a failing drive that Hard Disk Sentinel correctly reported the problems and informed me to move all data off the drive. The estimated life of that HDD was reported to be in hours according to Hard Disk Sentinel, and I was able to move almost all data off before it died completely. If your HDD has bad sectors but otherwise is still a useable drive, the paid version of Hard Disk Sentinel has some kind of repair software that will block off the bad sectors and you can then use the rest of the drive.

StableBit Scanner does a great job in monitoring the HDDs in DrivePool, but I don't think it has any method to repair bad sectors and return a drive back to good health. IIRC, StableBit Scanner mainly identifies a failing drive and automatically starts to move data off the drive and remove it from DrivePool.

I agree that if your HDD is not showing up at all in Disk Management, you may have to pull that drive and try it on another computer. I only have Windows computers, but I also like the idea of trying it on a different OS to find out if the drive is able to load. Good luck.