Archive Optimizer question

Dane

Question

Sorry if this question has been asked but I couldn't find it. With Archive Optimizer when it is moving from feeder disks to archive disks does it do it as fast as the archive disks will allow or does it throttle itself to something lower? If not is there a way to tell it to only use say 25-50 MB/s? Reason I ask is I am doing a massive server upgrade and part of that upgrade is adding two ssd's as feeder disks. Hoping that when I am transferring large amounts of data to the pool that other things like plex isn't having to fight for access to the pool (all shows and movies are stored on it). This little issue brings the WAF (wife acceptance factor) way down. For some reason while watching movies or tv shows she doesn't like it constantly buffering because I am moving files to the pool. I know there is the option to have it only balance at a set time but, these are ssd's and I don't trust them enough to leave data on them for extended periods of time, but they are fast, low power, and relatively cheap.

2 answers to this question

In theory, the balancing module uses a background IO priority, which means that it should not interfere with normal usage. In fact, if you enable "network IO boost", it priorities network traffic over local disk activity. This uses a bit more CPU overhead, but should do what you want.

And two SSDs should get you great read speeds.

But as for performance, I download directly to the pool, while access MKV files. Without any buffering issues.

As for performance issues, if you are experiencing any, then check out this link:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

It's for WHSv1, but most of the stuff applies to .... well, any version of Windows. I'd recommend checking it out.