Pool not balance, but cannot trigger ballancing

DrParis

Question

Hi there,

Yet another question, this time related to balancing ;)

As you can see in the following picture, my pooled drives are not properly balanced:

post-26-0-65408800-1371295192_thumb.png

But you can see as well that the rebalance option is not showing up...

Why is that? How can I trigger balancing?

7 answers to this question

What's your settings under Pool options -> Settings... -> Automatic balancing - Triggers?

Could it be that you haven't met the threshold defined there?

Drivepool is by default quite restrictive when it comes to moving around existing files. Normally it just balances over time by directing new files to most suitable drive(s).

You can also look at the Drive Space Equalizer plugin here: http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

I have set the pool to not balance automatically so that I can trigger that manually whenever it suits me (using the arrow on the right of Pool Organization).

The settings of the balancers plugins are not an issue, as you can see on the picture DP indicates properly what should be the optimal file placement.

What is an issue is that even if my pool does not meet this optimal setting, the "balance now" option does not show up.

Ahh, I see :)

Then I don't have a good answer.

But I found another sneaky thing on my server. I have a similar situation as you but on my server the option to manually re-balance the pool does appear. But when running it manually it just chugs along and then finished without actually moving any of 67GB that are not "optimally placed" (leading to 134GB unusable for duplication on the pie chart)

Could this be a bug in one of the later betas because I know it used to work (like prior to the performance monitoring being added)

It looks like you are using the special Archive Optimizer plugin? From that plugin's Notes page, I believe it uses and requires background balancing and may not "play nice" with the other balancers? You may wish to check how you have prioritised it with respect to your other balancers and experiment a bit to see if that is what is disabling manual balancing.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolBalancingPlugins/ArchiveOptimizer/Notes.txt

I at least don't have any extra plugins installed. Pretty much everything is on default.

I however do get this in the log file from the 1AM (CEST) rebalance job:

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [Rebalance] Cannot balance. Requested critical only. 2013-06-15 23:00:00Z 145777053461

If it's having issues balancing, then enabling trace logging would give a better indication of what's going on (or not).

(http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Advanced_Settings, CoveFS_TracingEnabled).

However, as for that log entry:

"Cannot balance. Requested critical only" is normal to have.

When you set up periodic balancing (such as daily balancing at night), you configure balancing triggers, such as:

• "Balance, if the balancing ratio falls below: [some percent]%
  • OR if at lest this much data needs to be moved: [some value]GB

This is set up in balancing Settings.

The warning that simply indicates that the balancing time has passed, but none of the triggering conditions were satisfied. 

Basically, in English is means that: "It's not time to balance".

Nothing to worry about.

As for manually triggering balancing, try remeasuring, and if it's pass any of the thresholds on the balancer settings, it should give you the option.

@DrParis, any particular reason to not have it automatically balance? Periodically, or "immediately"?

And like Henrik mentined, the "Disk Space Equalizer" plugin is the only way to ensure equally filled disks (either by percentage or space remaining)