Drivepool migration from failed hardware

saraish

Question

Hi all

I have been happily using Drivepool for about 5 years on a WHS2011 server, in particular the HP N54L Microserver. The 4 drives operated with full redundancy, but to be honest I can't fully remember the configuration that I had. 

Last month, my server's motherboard has failed and I'm unable to source a new one, and I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade my server to a NAS (Synology).

My issue now is that I have a heap of data on my pooled drives which I am unable to access as my PC won't turn on. For the most part, my RAW files were backed up to an Amazon Glacier vault, so are retreivable (at a cost), but I also have some videos which were not uploaded to Glacier that I'd like to retreive from the Drivepool array. 

I have purchased a Synology 918 NAS to place the drives that were previously pooled into as my understanding is that there was no issue with the drives.

I understand that I'm unable to simply place the drives into the Synology NAS to get the data off them as it's a Linux based solution and uses btrfs. 

Can anyone please provide me with some advice on how to best proceed, preferably without needing to purchase any additional hardware? I only have a laptop so no ability to place those drives into another tower to access them at this stage.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

Were you using the server board RAID in any way (other than passthrough)? If not when you connect a single drive to another windows machine it should present as a normal NTFS disk with a hidden folder with that disk's Pool part in it,and whatever content was in that disk's part of the pool accordingly in there

Example: D:\PoolPart.37fd2833-0a62-42af-a2b7-f6899100db05

The premise of Drivepool is that it doesn't jiggy with the disks in any way,merely present a unified pool and manages file/folder placement in the background

*Edit to be more clear,you should be able to connect individual disks to a laptop/PC (I have a USB Dock for quick swaps) and read the pool disks individually even without drivepool