Scanner stopped at 11.41% complete

Poppapete

Question

12 answers to this question

I tried WD lifeguard and it did not see it. So I initialized the drive (it is brand new) and lifeguard can now see it. Am running the extended lifeguard test which will take hours.  When finished I will run stablebit scanner again. I want to use it in a drivepool. This will be my first go with DP. Have installed the 30 day trial version. My understanding is that I format the drive (NTFS) then add it to a pool. It seems you cannot add a drive which has data on it to a pool and have that data included in the pool.  Is this correct?

Poppapete

So to continue:

I created a drive pool for my media using the aforementioned 3TB WD Red (WD30ERFX) and 1TB Seagate (ST1000DM003).  Giving me 4TB's in the pool (actually about 3.66TB's). I then proceeded to move my media from my nearly full old media drive 2TB WD (WD20EARX).  This would take a few hours. After about 2 hours I checked to find that the transfer had stopped due to there being not enough space on the newly created pool.  Upon opening DrivePool I discover that the copying had filled the smaller physical drive and left the larger one empty. OK so I look into balancing and set DrivePool to "Balance Immediately". A yellow flashing bar appeared at the bottom reading "Balancing 1.3%).  It has been like that for an hour and the amount of free space on each physical drive has not changed (one being full and the larger one empty).  Am I doing something wrong ((as usual) or do I wait patiently for DrivePool to do its thing?

Does the trial version have all the features?

. It seems you cannot add a drive which has data on it to a pool and have that data included in the pool.  Is this correct?

Poppapete

You can absolute add a disk that already has data on it. However it does count against the available space for the Pool on that disk.

You can also move that contents into the pool. The recommended way is "drag and drop" to the pool drive. But if you have a large amount of data, there is a "quick and dirty" method for "seeding" the pool basically.

Lifeguard found repairable sectors and repaired them successfully!!??

Reran StableBit scanner which found 29 sectors unreadable - 14.5 KB.

Is this acceptable?

If you're finding more and more bad sectors like this (and data lifeguard is confirming that), then that's not good.

If this is a brand new disk (sounds like it) and it's finding a lot of bad sectors, then there may be a physical issue with the disk.

One solution here... which will take hours, or days, is to run a full format (not a quick format). This wipes the entire disk and should identify any additional issues with the disk and correct them.

So to continue:

I created a drive pool for my media using the aforementioned 3TB WD Red (WD30ERFX) and 1TB Seagate (ST1000DM003).  Giving me 4TB's in the pool (actually about 3.66TB's). I then proceeded to move my media from my nearly full old media drive 2TB WD (WD20EARX).  This would take a few hours. After about 2 hours I checked to find that the transfer had stopped due to there being not enough space on the newly created pool.  Upon opening DrivePool I discover that the copying had filled the smaller physical drive and left the larger one empty. OK so I look into balancing and set DrivePool to "Balance Immediately". A yellow flashing bar appeared at the bottom reading "Balancing 1.3%).  It has been like that for an hour and the amount of free space on each physical drive has not changed (one being full and the larger one empty).  Am I doing something wrong ((as usual) or do I wait patiently for DrivePool to do its thing?

Does the trial version have all the features?

First, yes, the trial version is fully featured. There no features disabled or limited.

As for the issue here, if you have StableBit Scanner installed as well as DrivePool, if a disk is marked as damaged (as in bad/unreadable sectors) it will prevent DrivePool from using the drive to prevent any data loss. So what you're seeing is expected.

And as I said, if the number of bad sectors is steadily increasing, take the drive back to where you purchased it (or return it). If they won't let you (depending on the sales laws in your area), then RMA it. 

One question: I believe you have a Pool of 1x1TB and 1x3TB. Do you have duplication enabled? If so, than 1TB will be the max capacity of the Pool (for duplicated files) because it can only write 1TB to the smaller drive and requires duplicated files to reside on seperate disks.

drashna,

First, thank you for you quick response (especially as it is the weekend).

Second, my wife did drop the new 3TB disk while cleaning about a week ago. I always keep one spare on the shelf and she loves to clean. Here in Australia the wholesaler will take it back and run lifeguard and I suspect will say it is OK as it did with me after it repaired the disk. If I can't get this sorted I will buy another and use the dropped one somewhere else.

I have StableBit Scanner running on all machines and that explains why when I copied data to the new pool it only used the "undamaged disk" as the new 3TB Red was listed as "Damaged"

The # of bad sectors is not increasing it was always 29 (twice reported by StableBit).

As I write this I think DrivePool is very slowly balancing the data. I will report back again in the morning after letting it work all night.

Love to see you on the forums with Dave & Jim. I am running 2012 essentials as my server but I did the "SkipDomainJoin" like Paul Braren, not up to AD like you.

Umfriend,

Thanks for the input. I am not using duplication. Will try later if and when I get the basics working

One question: I believe you have a Pool of 1x1TB and 1x3TB. Do you have duplication enabled? If so, than 1TB will be the max capacity of the Pool (for duplicated files) because it can only write 1TB to the smaller drive and requires duplicated files to reside on seperate disks.

The Pool will mark ~2TB of that space as "Unusable for duplication, so you will only have 2TBs of space available for duplciation (1TB on each drive, so 1TB of data).

drashna,

First, thank you for you quick response (especially as it is the weekend).

Second, my wife did drop the new 3TB disk while cleaning about a week ago. I always keep one spare on the shelf and she loves to clean. Here in Australia the wholesaler will take it back and run lifeguard and I suspect will say it is OK as it did with me after it repaired the disk. If I can't get this sorted I will buy another and use the dropped one somewhere else.

I have StableBit Scanner running on all machines and that explains why when I copied data to the new pool it only used the "undamaged disk" as the new 3TB Red was listed as "Damaged"

The # of bad sectors is not increasing it was always 29 (twice reported by StableBit).

As I write this I think DrivePool is very slowly balancing the data. I will report back again in the morning after letting it work all night.

Love to see you on the forums with Dave & Jim. I am running 2012 essentials as my server but I did the "SkipDomainJoin" like Paul Braren, not up to AD like you.

Umfriend,

Thanks for the input. I am not using duplication. Will try later if and when I get the basics working

If it's not increasing, then it should be fine. Emphasis on "should". If it increases, then you may want to consider it.

As for the bad sectors, as soon as they are written to, the disk should "fix" them.  That means a full format, a chkdsk /r pass, or ... just normal usage.  We don't do it automatically, because we never want to risk your data's integrity. And to be blunt here: if the disk reallocates the sector, you CANNOT recover the data that was there. Period. And we don't want to cause that, just in case.

And yeah, I post a lot at Home Server Show forums. as well. :)

In the morning all was fine. Even started a second pool for my local backups so as they fill I can add more drives. Seems balancing is really only an issue if I need to duplicate which I am not using at present. Looks like I will now have to pay for the application.

Thank you.