Google Drive: The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

KiLLeRRaT

Question

Hi All,

I've recently noticed that my drive has 40GB to be uploaded, and saw there are errors in the top left.  Clicking that showed 

The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

What's the deal here, and is this going to be an ongoing issue with growing drives?

My drive is a 15TB drive, with 6TB free (so only using 9TB).

Attached is my drive's info screen.

EDIT: Cloud Drive Version: 1.1.5.1249 on Windows Server 2016.

Cheers,

2020-06-18 11_42_07-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - oscar.gouws.org.png

23 hours ago, srcrist said:

Both. We were both talking about different things. I was referring to the fix for the per-folder limitations, Christopher is talking about the fix for whatever issue was causing drives not to update, I believe. Though it is a little ambiguous. The fixes for the per-folder limitation issue were, in any case, in the .1314 build, as noted in the changelog: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

confusing cuz v1356 is also suggested by Christopher in the first reply to this thread. Also the stable changelog doesn't mention it at all (https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive/ChangeLog?Platform=win), and the version numbers for the stables are completely different right now to the betas (1.1.6 vs 1.2.0 for all betas including the ones that introduced the fixes we're discussing). 

I tried all suggestions from this thread and I'm still getting error from Google Drive about reaching folders limit.

I tried manual changes to the config file, using my own API key, re-authenticating drive - no change. Had to switch StableBit Cloud Drive off until permanent fix is delivered.

And, I'm not going to try beta version as in the past it damaged my drive and I had to re-upload for months again.

Weird, as other tools have no such issues as CloudDrive is having every now and then. I'm using AlwaySync and it just works.

7 hours ago, darkly said:

confusing cuz v1356 is also suggested by Christopher in the first reply to this thread.

If you have the thread organized by votes, that post from Christopher is actually from Oct 12th. It's not the first post from the thread chronologically, which was made back in June. You just have your thread sorted by votes.

7 hours ago, darkly said:

Also the stable changelog doesn't mention it at all (https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive/ChangeLog?Platform=win), and the version numbers for the stables are completely different right now to the betas (1.1.6 vs 1.2.0 for all betas including the ones that introduced the fixes we're discussing). 

This is correct though, and something I had not noticed before. Also the ReFS fix from beta .1373 and the ReFS fix listed in the stable changelog for stable .1318 are for different issues (28436 vs 28469). No versions between 1.1.2.X and 1.2.0.X are represented in the betas at all, but, for example, the Google Drive API keys which were added in BETA .1248 are represented in the stable changelog for .1249. I was presuming that the build numbers from the stable versions subsequent to the builds for the beta were implementing all of the changes up until that point and simply not listing them in the changelog, but you might be correct, here. They may simply be merging some limited number of beta changes back to the stable branch and using the version suffix to represent a rough build equivalency.

If that is the case: then the stable branch is *significantly* behind the beta and, yes, Christopher and I may both have been referring to the same changes and I was just confused. If the stable version has only implemented the changes listed in the stable changlog, then the stable release will not mitigate the folder-limit issue. You would have to use a beta. This is my fault for not keeping up with the stable changelog since switching to the beta.

So, yeah, the bottom line is that people need to either switch to the beta, if they're seeing this issue, or wait for a stable release. But you'd have to reach out to Alex and Chrisopher about when that might be. I can, however, vouch for the stability of at least beta .1316, which is what I am still using on my server.

I'll go back and edit the inaccuracies in previous posts.

1 hour ago, Krisp said:

And, I'm not going to try beta version as in the past it damaged my drive and I had to re-upload for months again.

Pursuant to the above, if you are not running the beta, then it would appear that these changes are not available to you. So nothing that anyone has suggested here would work. You'll have to switch or wait.

20 hours ago, srcrist said:

I can, however, vouch for the stability of at least beta .1316, which is what I am still using on my server.

I can second this. Been using beta .1316 on my Plex server for months now and things have been running smoothly for the most part (other than some API issues that we never determined the exact reason for but those have mostly resolved themselves).

The only reason I brought any of this up is I'm finally getting around to setting up CloudDrive/DrivePool on my new build and wasn't sure what versions I should install for a fresh start. Looks like I'll just stick with beta .1316 for now. Thanks!

On 10/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For 

This is a known issue. It's not CloudDrive specifically.   It's a change with Google's APIs.  We've seen this mostly with personal APIs but it seems that Google has "flipped the switch" and enabled this limitation globally, now.

The public release version does not have the fix to handle this, right now.   However, the latest beta versions do.  But upgrading to the beta reorganizes the contents, so you can't downgrade, and expect to have te drive working, in that case. 

you can wait for a new release with this fix (which will likely be soon, because we're seeing a significant number of people running into this issue). Or you can grab the beta here:
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.2.0.1356_x64_BETA.exe

I'm guessing this hasn't been rolled into the public release yet? I'm experiencing the same thing today on the newest public...

I just downloaded the latest beta and installed it. Is there anything I have to do for this 'reorganization' to work, or does it happen without me explicitly telling it to?

Thanks.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:51 AM, rbutler81 said:

I'm guessing this hasn't been rolled into the public release yet? I'm experiencing the same thing today on the newest public...

I just downloaded the latest beta and installed it. Is there anything I have to do for this 'reorganization' to work, or does it happen without me explicitly telling it to?

Thanks.

I've installed the beta and the issue was gone without doing anything explicitly.