Google Drive: The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

KiLLeRRaT

Question

Hi All,

I've recently noticed that my drive has 40GB to be uploaded, and saw there are errors in the top left.  Clicking that showed 

The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

What's the deal here, and is this going to be an ongoing issue with growing drives?

My drive is a 15TB drive, with 6TB free (so only using 9TB).

Attached is my drive's info screen.

EDIT: Cloud Drive Version: 1.1.5.1249 on Windows Server 2016.

Cheers,

2020-06-18 11_42_07-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - oscar.gouws.org.png

On 10/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, JoeyD said:

Managed to fix this today as my client was giving errors also. 

Install Beta version from here: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/ (I used 1344)

Reboot.

Don't start CloudDrive and/or service.

Add the below to this file: C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\Service\Settings.json

"GoogleDrive_ForceUpgradeChunkOrganization": {
    "Default": true,
    "Override": true
  } 

Start Service & CloudDrive. Should kick in straight away. I have 42TB in GDrive and it went through immediately. Back to uploading as usual now. 

Hope this helps. 

After seeing the positive feedback from other people, I downloaded the beta and applied the settings by JoeyD. Can confirm this works! Thanks @JoeyD! :)

Get ready to lose the "unlimited" GDrive storage. The new Workspace TOS spell out that beyond 5TB per Enterprise user it will remain within Google's discretion to grant you extra storage.

I just got the email introducing the new plans, I'm guessing that we have a few months left before they force the transition, a year at best for those people who just signed up to an annual GSuite plan before they were retired. I just checked and it doesn't look like you can convert a flexible (i.e. monthly) plan to an annual Gsuite plan, now it's all about migrating us to Workspace.

3 hours ago, Gijs said:

After seeing the positive feedback from other people, I downloaded the beta and applied the settings by JoeyD. Can confirm this works! Thanks @JoeyD! :)

There should be no reason to change any advanced settings, and I would discourage people from doing so unless you specifically need to change those settings for some reason. The per-folder limitation issue should be resolved by using a beta newer than .1314 with the default settings.

3 hours ago, otravers said:

I just got the email introducing the new plans, I'm guessing that we have a few months left before they force the transition, a year at best for those people who just signed up to an annual GSuite plan before they were retired. I just checked and it doesn't look like you can convert a flexible (i.e. monthly) plan to an annual Gsuite plan, now it's all about migrating us to Workspace.

Several people have confirmed that the "Enterprise Standard Plan" is $20 a month and retains the unlimited with even a single user. So this isn't likely to translate to much more than a price increase.

See, for an example: https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/j61wcg/g_suite_becomes_google_workspace_12month/g7wfre3/

On 10/9/2020 at 11:28 AM, JoeyD said:

Install Beta version from here: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/ (I used 1344)

Reboot.

Add the below to this file: C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\Service\Settings.json

} 

Start Service & CloudDrive. Should kick in straight away. I have 42TB in GDrive and it went through immediately. Back to uploading as usual now. 

Hope this helps. 

THIS WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

On 10/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Gijs said:

Reboot.

} 

Hope this helps. 

I did the following but i keep getting drive cannot be mounted please help.

error.JPG

9 hours ago, CMBC said:

All my ReFS drive are now RAW, lost everything....

6 hours ago, havok said:

I did the following but i keep getting drive cannot be mounted please help.

Neither of these errors/issues are likely related to the topic of this thread.

If the drive is RAW, the file system is likely corrupted. The change this thread references only restructures the way the data is stored on the provider, it isn't changing any of the data itself. If it was corrupting data on the provider, we'd be seeing that manifest in other ways for other users--and that isn't the case. I would suggest opening a ticket with support here: https://stablebit.com/Contact in order to try and troubleshoot how your file system was actually corrupted. Though even Windows Updates have corrupted ReFS volumes on a regular basis. It just isn't a stable file system, and that's why the functionality has been rolled back in Windows 10 for now. So if you blinked or breathed wrong, that might be the culprit.

And a User Rate Limit Exceeded error is an API limit error. It means the API key you're using is hitting the limit of calls per time period, and Google won't allow it to access the API any more. Are you using the default API key, or your own?

On 10/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, srcrist said:

Hello, just try yourself, easy to verify.

Using beta 1.2.0.1346, create an REFS drive on Google, after formating, remove drive letter, it goes RAW...

On 10/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, srcrist said:

Neither of these errors/issues are likely related to the topic of this thread.

If the drive is RAW, the file system is likely corrupted. The change this thread references only restructures the way the data is stored on the provider, it isn't changing any of the data itself. If it was corrupting data on the provider, we'd be seeing that manifest in other ways for other users--and that isn't the case. I would suggest opening a ticket with support here: https://stablebit.com/Contact in order to try and troubleshoot how your file system was actually corrupted. Though even Windows Updates have corrupted ReFS volumes on a regular basis. It just isn't a stable file system, and that's why the functionality has been rolled back in Windows 10 for now. So if you blinked or breathed wrong, that might be the culprit.

And a User Rate Limit Exceeded error is an API limit error. It means the API key you're using is hitting the limit of calls per time period, and Google won't allow it to access the API any more. Are you using the default API key, or your own?

Hello I'm experiencing the same error as "The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded" so I switched to the latest stable version of CloudDrive now I get errors only for 1 disk while before I received errors for all my disks (5 disks) I noticed when uploading to the disk that gives me error 2.22 GB is it possible that the upload refers to the structural change of the disk? I don't remember uploading anything on that disk, do you think you need to go to the beta and force the system by manually editing the file to solve it?
I have read that some users have found the disk unusable, even if experienced users like srcrist do not associate this error with the change, I would like to totally avoid finding myself in this situation. Thanks to anyone who wants to help me

I am also haviing the same issue after the upgrade. 

error.JPG

Pretty sure the drive was NOT REFS as its connected to a Windows 7/Windows Embeded Standard x64 system. 

I DID NOT apply the code below that will be my next step

} 

I used BETA version 1346 incase that helps anyone. 

On 10/18/2020 at 5:55 PM, Krisp said:

Is there any work pending on fixing GDrive issue? Any estimate?

The fix for these issues is several months old. It was fixed back in July.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:55 PM, Krisp said:

I'm just not ready to risk a beta version of software and lose again TBs of data as it happen in the past.

EDIT: THIS IS INCORRECT.

.1318 is the latest stable release on the site, and it has the fix (which was in .1314). You don't need to use a beta version, if you don't want.

2 hours ago, TMGPhilip said:

I am also haviing the same issue after the upgrade. 

User Rate Limit Exceeded is an API congestion error from Google. If you're being given that error, and you're using your own key, you're hitting the usage limits on your key. If you're using Stablebit's default key, then they are hitting their limits--which is possible, especially if many people are having to do a lot of API calls at once to convert drives. That's just speculation, though.

If it's stablebit's key, you'll want to open a ticket and let them know so they can request a raise on their limit. You can also try reauthorizing the drive, as stablebit has several API keys already--or switching to your own.

4 minutes ago, TMGPhilip said:

i just had to wait a few hours and it cleared itself. Is there any clear documentation on using our own api key? 

Yessir. This article on the wiki details the process: https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

Note both that the process on Google's end is a little outdated (though you can still probably navigate the process from that article), and that switching to a personal key isn't really necessary and carries new limitations relative to Stablebit's developer keys (for example, people using their personal keys were already getting these per-folder limitations back in June, while Stablebit's key has just had this limitation enforced this month). So, caveat emptor.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:42 AM, Chupa said:

Hello I'm experiencing the same error as "The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded" so I switched to the latest stable version of CloudDrive now I get errors only for 1 disk while before I received errors for all my disks (5 disks) I noticed when uploading to the disk that gives me error 2.22 GB is it possible that the upload refers to the structural change of the disk? I don't remember uploading anything on that disk, do you think you need to go to the beta and force the system by manually editing the file to solve it?
I have read that some users have found the disk unusable, even if experienced users like srcrist do not associate this error with the change, I would like to totally avoid finding myself in this situation. Thanks to anyone who wants to help me

I only have 1 drive and updated to current version (1318) of the software as per the thread suggests and I'm still getting child folder has too many files error.  

LHsZ7Tf6Sk.png

1 hour ago, Cobalt503 said:

I only have 1 drive and updated to current version (1318) of the software as per the thread suggests and I'm still getting child folder has too many files error.  

Open a ticket. You should be able to force the migration process, but they also need to know when it isn't working to troubleshoot a longer-term fix.

For anyone experiencing this issue:

This is a known issue, and due to changes on Google's ends.  

The fix is in the beta version, but that hasn't shipped yet.   The simplest method to fix this is to grab the beta version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.2.0.1356_x64_BETA.exe

Also, once a stable release is out, you should get that, and will be switched back to the stable channel for updates (unless you explicitly set it otherwise).

So I had a cloud drive mounted and was exhibiting this error repeatedly. I upgraded to the 1.2.0.1356 BETA version as suggested above. I made NO manual changes to any config files referenced above. Restarted my machine as directed by installer. After the restart I was prompted to enter my key and once I did it I get "Drive cannot be mounted". In the detailed logs I have repeated: 0:02:29.4: Warning: 0 : [CloudDrives] Error processing cloud part mount for d5616409-b033-4ec8-85e0-31a744e6b7d6. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Also the only option in the main window I have now is "Destroy..."

So now I am not sure what to do with this drive now. Any suggestions would be super helpful. Thank you.

*** Update on issue ***
The following steps appeared to fix my issue:
  Close CloudDrive GUI
  Manually stop CloudDrive service
  Manually update the configuration file: C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\Service\Settings.json
    My configuration file already had the: GoogleDrive_ForceUpgradeChunkOrganization section
    I modified the Default: false to Default: true and Override: null to Override: true
  Manually start the CloudDrive service
    Note: I noticed that on the service start the Settings.json was updated to Default: false, but Override remained true
  Start CloudDrive GUI
  Enter CloudDrive key
  Drive was mounted, I saw a message (it went fast) similar to upgrading... (Sorry I do not have the exact message)
  Uploads started right away
  I have not had any errors since this change and have been testing the files that were remaining to be uploaded and checking a few other things as I go along here

I think for now I am all set. It appears that my drive is working again with the BETA and the manual steps performed above.

Edited by No0bstacles
*** Update on issue ***

ErDx.png

On 10/27/2020 at 10:55 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For anyone experiencing this issue:

This is a known issue, and due to changes on Google's ends.  

The fix is in the beta version, but that hasn't shipped yet.   The simplest method to fix this is to grab the beta version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.2.0.1356_x64_BETA.exe

Also, once a stable release is out, you should get that, and will be switched back to the stable channel for updates (unless you explicitly set it otherwise).

On 10/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, srcrist said:

.1318 is the latest stable release on the site, and it has the fix (which was in .1314). You don't need to use a beta version, if you don't want.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:55 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Sooooo which is it? :lol:

On 11/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, darkly said:

Sooooo which is it? :lol:

EDIT: THIS POST APPEARS TO BE INCORRECT.

Both. We were both talking about different things. I was referring to the fix for the per-folder limitations, Christopher is talking about the fix for whatever issue was causing drives not to update, I believe. Though it is a little ambiguous. The fixes for the per-folder limitation issue were, in any case, in the .1314 build, as noted in the changelog: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

EDIT: Christopher might also have been talking about the ReFS issue, which looks like it was fixed in .1373. I'm not sure, though. People have used this thread for a larger number of issues, at this point, than is probably helpful. If a moderator agrees, we might want to lock it to encourage people to post new threads.