Google Drive: The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

KiLLeRRaT

Question

Hi All,

I've recently noticed that my drive has 40GB to be uploaded, and saw there are errors in the top left.  Clicking that showed 

The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

What's the deal here, and is this going to be an ongoing issue with growing drives?

My drive is a 15TB drive, with 6TB free (so only using 9TB).

Attached is my drive's info screen.

EDIT: Cloud Drive Version: 1.1.5.1249 on Windows Server 2016.

Cheers,

2020-06-18 11_42_07-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - oscar.gouws.org.png

206 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Simon83 said:

I use .1307 and i am by 19% after about 24h. Never had a error like this, but I had nothing better to do, than update to the latest beta and know I hate myself.

You think, that deleting the cache would speed it up?

I would not delete the cache. I have a 270TB drive with 55TB used and on 1307 I am upgrading at about 10% per 24 hour period. Which is faster than before.

I would stay the course if I were you.

1 hour ago, JulesTop said:

I would not delete the cache. I have a 270TB drive with 55TB used and on 1307 I am upgrading at about 10% per 24 hour period. Which is faster than before.

Ok, then I will be patient.

Fyi, I tried to set the GoogleDrive_ConcurrentRequestCount to 3, but after a while I had errors from google...so 2 seams to be the maximum.

3 hours ago, JulesTop said:

Whoa, that's way slower than I expected. You're seeing only about 5.5TB migrated per day!

What sort of system specs, or resource consumption are you seeing, does it seem bottlenecked by anything other than Google's concurrency limit?

6 minutes ago, Firerouge said:

Whoa, that's way slower than I expected. You're seeing only about 5.5TB migrated per day!

What sort of system specs, or resource consumption are you seeing, does it seem bottlenecked by anything other than Google's concurrency limit?

Because there are no files beein moved on your disk, the system specs doesn´t matter. Clouddrive just sends commands to the cloud, to move files on the cloud.

At least this is my understanding of this.

6 hours ago, JulesTop said:

I have been seeing about the same speed, roughly 10% per day unfortunately. Although mine is now showing progress, which is better than before.

All of my drives are working and I have no errors...EXCEPT the last beta that changed the GoogleDrive_ConcurrentRequestCount to "2" appears to be causing issues. My drives tend to do a lot of reading and writing...it's for a plex server. And 2 concurrent causes CloudDrive to tell me I don't have enough bandwidth. I have tried to change the setting in the "settings.json" but it isn't accepting the change.

Greetings to all! In connection with the transition to the new format, is there any possibility to display the percentage of the procedure? After a power failure, several disks have been showing me "Mounting ..." for a week now.............. (version 1.2.0.1310).

6 hours ago, Patrik_Mrkva said:

Greetings to all! In connection with the transition to the new format, is there any possibility to display the percentage of the procedure? After a power failure, several disks have been showing me "Mounting ..." for a week now.............. (version 1.2.0.1310).

I had something similar happen. I did something very risky but it did work. I deleted the main cache for the drive having that issue which effectively unmounted it. I was then able to remount it and thankfully everything reloaded correctly. Proceed at your own risk.

Try to reboot. That fixed it for me. Be careful with deleting any files.

After a week all my drives are back to normal and working fine. No missing or corrupt files so far. At first the update was very slow but after the latest beta it works just fine. I had to reboot several times to get the update process going but in the end it worked out. I did not delete any files.

Reboot is my middle name. I reboot regularly twice a day, but without effect. 3 disks out of 8 were recovered after 3 days, the remaining 5 disks still in the "Mounting" state .... In my opinion, deleting cache is a very risky operation ...

If at least the percentages were displayed.....

Update.

My drives are all now working fine. While it would not let me change the "concurrentrequestcount" above 2, but it did take the override setting for 10. My biggest issue was that I was running everything from an HDD from downloading files to my computer, uploading them to clouddrive, the cache for cloud drive, etc. I had my server host add an SDD and I now run the clouddrives and caches from there. Absolutely no issues now. Full speed and no errors. I also discovered that my HDD is failing so my next quest will be to replace that and start installing everything all over again. Hopefully now that the "data" is in the right format it won't have any issues when I have to effectively remount the drives to a fresh install.

I made the mistake of installing the newer versions of the beta, which caused reboots, and now I have no clue where I am at. Both of my drives are still down and I have no idea if something is even happening or not, but I am hoping it is...

Actually, in my logs I am getting a Bad Gateway error for my Google Drive. Wahoo.

Edited by Burrskie
Added more information

1 minute ago, Burrskie said:

I made the mistake of installing the newer versions of the beta, which caused reboots, and now I have no clue where I am at. Both of my drives are still down and I have no idea if something is even happening or not, but I am hoping it is...

What version did you have and what are you on now?

2 minutes ago, Chase said:

What version did you have and what are you on now?

I am on 1312, but I was on 1310, then upgraded to 1311, then 1312, but I just looked and there is another update to 1314 but it hasn't prompted me to update. I guess I will just download it and see since who knows when I will ever get my data back.

So i just mounted a 16TB drive with around 12TB used (which has the issue) on .1314
the 'upgrading' screen took less than 5 seconds, and the drive mounted perfectly within a few seconds.
it has now been 'cleaning up' for about 20minutes, and it is editing and deleting some files as expected, but im a little worried it did not do any actual upgrading.

I noticed in the web interface all it did was rename the chunk folder to '<id>-CONTENT-HIERARCHICAL' and created a new '<id>-CONTENT-HIERARCHICAL-P' folder.
but this new folder is empty and no files are being moved/have been moved.

My guess is the new system no longer moves existing files and instead just makes sure any new changes are put in new folders? 
That does make sense as it would avoid having to move a shit ton of files, and avoids the issue (as it seems to only affect writing new files, and does not affect existing files)

Once the status is green and it has definitely stopped doing anything i will test to see if the drive is now functional on my own api keys...

1 hour ago, Jellepepe said:

My guess is the new system no longer moves existing files and instead just makes sure any new changes are put in new folders? 
That does make sense as it would avoid having to move a shit ton of files, and avoids the issue (as it seems to only affect writing new files, and does not affect existing files)

Seems I was correct, existing files are untouched and new files are stored according to the new system, hopefully this remains working as it saves a lot of moving around

On 7/12/2020 at 11:28 AM, Patrik_Mrkva said:

Heureka! Beta 1314 is solution! All disks are mounted, converted in moment. No errors, everething works perfectly! Thanks, Chris!

Are there any other under the hood changes with 1314 vs the current stable that we should be aware of? Someone mentioned a "concurrentrequestcount" setting on a previous beta? What does that affect? What else should we be aware of before upgrading? I'm still on quite an old version and I've been hesitant to upgrade, partly cuz losing access to my files for over 2 weeks was too costly. Apparently the new API limits are still not being applied to my API keys, so I've been fine so far, but I know I'll have to make the jump soon. Wondering if I should do it on 1314 or wait for the next stable. There doesn't seem to be an ETA on that yet though.

Afterthought: Any chance google changes something in the future that affects files already in drive that break the 500,000 limit? Could a system be implemented to move those file slowly over time while the clouddrive remains accessible in case something does get enforced in the future?

6 hours ago, srcrist said:

I finally bit the bullet last night and converted my drives. I'd like to report that even in excess of 250TB, the new conversion process finished basically instantly and my drive is fully functional. If anyone else has been waiting, it would appear to be fine to upgrade to the new format now.

I had the same experience the other night. I'm just worried about potential issues in the future with directories that are over the limit as I mentioned in the comment above. Overall performance has become much better as well for my drives shared over the network (but keep in mind I was upgrading from a VERY old version so that probably played a factor in my performance previously).