Google Drive: The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

KiLLeRRaT

Question

Hi All,

I've recently noticed that my drive has 40GB to be uploaded, and saw there are errors in the top left.  Clicking that showed 

The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders) has been exceeded

What's the deal here, and is this going to be an ongoing issue with growing drives?

My drive is a 15TB drive, with 6TB free (so only using 9TB).

Attached is my drive's info screen.

EDIT: Cloud Drive Version: 1.1.5.1249 on Windows Server 2016.

Cheers,

2020-06-18 11_42_07-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - oscar.gouws.org.png

206 answers to this question

On 6/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, JulesTop said:

Oh dear...

Did you submit a ticket to support? This will make sure @Alex can take a look and roll out a fix if it's on the software end. I don't think he's on the forums too often.

I submitted a ticket. Let me preface all of this with I am tech savvy but by no means a programmer.

Prefetch is working intermittently right now. The big problem is that it keeps telling me i'm throttled (double yellow arrows on download and upload sides) but it is not acting as if it is throttled consistently. For example,  I have my prefetch set to grab 1Gb and it did so just now at 250 mbit/s without issue. 

I still have the error "Error saving data. Cloud drive not found" when trying to change performance I/O setting or when I press the pause button on upload. However it does take the new settings anyways and clearly the drive is found, mounted, and active.

I added my own API and reauthorized on it for my one drive that has completed the update. Still have the issues listed above but I know that it has switched to my API.

My second drive that was still in the middle of updating is now saying "Drive queued to perform recovery". It looks like my server shutdown unexpectedly at some point this morning so the recovery part is expected but I've never seen it say "queued" for recovery. I'm pissed that my server crashed. Its all brand new dedicated hardware and hosted in a data center...ugh

Any ideas on how to push it out of "queued" to recover and actually start recovery? 

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

So, to follow up after a day or two: the only person who says that they have completed the migration is saying that their drive is now non-functional. Is this accurate? Has nobody completed the process with a functional drive--to be clear? I can't really tell if anyone trying to help Chase has actually completed a successful migration, or if everyone is just offering feedback based on hypothetical situations.

I don't even want to think about starting this unless a few people can confirm that they have completed the process successfully.

Unintentional Guinea Pig Diaries.

Day 5 - Entry 2

*The Sound of Crickets*

So I'm in the same spot as I last posted. My second drive is still at "Queued to perform Recovery". If I knew how to force a reauth right now I would so I could get it on my API. Or at the very least get it out of "queued"

Perhaps our leaders will come back to see us soon. Maybe this is a test of our ability to suffer more during COVID. We will soon find out.

End Diary entry.

14 hours ago, srcrist said:

Hey guys,

So, to follow up after a day or two: the only person who says that they have completed the migration is saying that their drive is now non-functional. Is this accurate? Has nobody completed the process with a functional drive--to be clear? I can't really tell if anyone trying to help Chase has actually completed a successful migration, or if everyone is just offering feedback based on hypothetical situations.

I don't even want to think about starting this unless a few people can confirm that they have completed the process successfully.

I don't have most of these answers, but something did occur to me that might explain why I'm not seeing any issues using my personal API keys with a CloudDrive over 70TB. I partitioned my CloudDrive into multiple partitions, and pooled them all using DrivePool. I noticed earlier that each of my partitions only have about 7-8TB on them (respecting that earlier estimate that problems would start up between 8-10TB of data). Can anyone confirm whether or not a partitioned CloudDrive would keep each partition's data in a different directory on Google Drive?

1 hour ago, darkly said:

I don't have most of these answers, but something did occur to me that might explain why I'm not seeing any issues using my personal API keys with a CloudDrive over 70TB. I partitioned my CloudDrive into multiple partitions, and pooled them all using DrivePool. I noticed earlier that each of my partitions only have about 7-8TB on them (respecting that earlier estimate that problems would start up between 8-10TB of data). Can anyone confirm whether or not a partitioned CloudDrive would keep each partition's data in a different directory on Google Drive?

I don't believe that this is the case. Clouddrive would organize it all as one single cloudrive and everything would be in the same directory.
I do the same exact thing you do, but with 55TB volumes in one clouddrive, and they were all in the same folder.

3 hours ago, JulesTop said:

I don't believe that this is the case. Clouddrive would organize it all as one single cloudrive and everything would be in the same directory.
I do the same exact thing you do, but with 55TB volumes in one clouddrive, and they were all in the same folder.

welp, maybe it's just a matter of time then . . .  Does anyone have a rough idea when google implemented this change? Hope we see a stable, tested update that resolves this soon.

Any idea if what I suggested in my previous post is possible? I have plenty (unlimited) space on my gdrive. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for CloudDrive to convert the drive into the new format by actually copying the data to a new, SEPARATE drive with the correct structure, rather than upgrading the existing drive in place and locking me out of all my data for what will most likely be a days long process . . . 

2 hours ago, darkly said:

welp, maybe it's just a matter of time then . . .  Does anyone have a rough idea when google implemented this change?

you mean "The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders)that rule is not new at all, contrary to what some here are saying. 

13 minutes ago, kird said:

you mean "The limit for this folder's number of children (files and folders)that rule is not new at all, contrary to what some here are saying. 

why do you say that? i am many times over the limit and never had any issues until a few weeks ago. 
I was also unable to find any documentation or even mention of it when i first encountered the issue, and even contacted google support who were totally unaware of any such limits.

fast forward 2 weeks later and more people start having the same 'issue' and suddenly we can find documentation on it from googles side.

3 hours ago, darkly said:

welp, maybe it's just a matter of time then . . .  Does anyone have a rough idea when google implemented this change? Hope we see a stable, tested update that resolves this soon.

I first encountered the issue on June 4th I believe, and I have found no mention of anyone having it before then anywhere, it was also the first time the devs had heard of it (i created a ticket on the 6th). I seems like it was a gradual roll out as it initially happened on only one of my accounts, and gradually spread, with others also reporting the same issue.

3 hours ago, darkly said:

Any idea if what I suggested in my previous post is possible? I have plenty (unlimited) space on my gdrive. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for CloudDrive to convert the drive into the new format by actually copying the data to a new, SEPARATE drive with the correct structure, rather than upgrading the existing drive in place and locking me out of all my data for what will most likely be a days long process . . . 

it would be possible, but there is a 750gb/day upload limit, so even moving a (smallish :D ) 50TB drive would take well over 2 months to move. 
Currently, moving the chunks, the only bottleneck (should be) the api request limit, which corresponds to a lot more data per day.
That said, it is possible to do this manually by disabling the migration for large drives in settings, creating a new drive on the newer version, and to start copying.

49 minutes ago, Jellepepe said:

why do you say that? i am many times over the limit and never had any issues until a few weeks ago. 
I was also unable to find any documentation or even mention of it when i first encountered the issue, and even contacted google support who were totally unaware of any such limits.

fast forward 2 weeks later and more people start having the same 'issue' and suddenly we can find documentation on it from googles side.

Sorry, this rule since i have been paying my last gdrive, approximately 3 or 4 months, already existed as it was commented in telegram groups at the time. I don't invent anything, mate.

17 minutes ago, kird said:

Sorry, this rule since i have been paying my last gdrive, approximately 3 or 4 months, already existed as it was commented in telegram groups at the time. I don't invent anything, mate.

I'm sorry, but this seems incorrect. A Google search returns precisely zero results for that API error prior to this month. The earliest result that I can find was this result from a Japanese site 20 days ago.

I don't know why you seem so resistant to the notion that this is a change in Google's API that will need to be addressed by all of us sooner or later, but the objective information available seems to suggest that this is the case.

I am also not having errors at the moment (which might be related to the fact that my account is a legitimate account at a large institution, and not a personal GSuite Business account) but I anticipate that we will all, eventually, need to migrate to a structure conformant with this new policy.

Note that this obscurity and suddenness is consistent with Google's API changes in the past as well. Nothing about this should be particularly surprising. It's just the sloppy way in which Google typically does business.

EDIT: Note also that this API error code (numChildrenInNonRootLimitExceeded) was added to Google's API reference sometime between April and June.

Migration on my drives stopped and looks like it can't finish for now. 

Software was moving files into hierarchical structure yesterday, but it stopped and now I'm only getting this:

0:05:10.5: Warning: 0 : [ApiHttp:40] Server is temporarily unavailable due to either high load or maintenance. HTTP protocol exception (Code=ServiceUnavailable).

In my service log. 

6 hours ago, Jellepepe said:

wayback machine confirms the rule did not exist last year. Sorry, but at this point, I've just given on what he's saying.

I first encountered the issue on June 4th I believe, and I have found no mention of anyone having it before then anywhere, it was also the first time the devs had heard of it (i created a ticket on the 6th). I seems like it was a gradual roll out as it initially happened on only one of my accounts, and gradually spread, with others also reporting the same issue.

I've been uploading this whole time and I still have yet to see this error so . . . really not sure when it's going to hit me. As far as staged rollouts go, this is remarkably slow lol.

it would be possible, but there is a 750gb/day upload limit, so even moving a (smallish :D ) 50TB drive would take well over 2 months to move. 
Currently, moving the chunks, the only bottleneck (should be) the api request limit, which corresponds to a lot more data per day.
That said, it is possible to do this manually by disabling the migration for large drives in settings, creating a new drive on the newer version, and to start copying.

Do the limits apply to duplicating files directly on Google Drive? Regardless, I was hoping more for a built-in option for this, not to do it manually, but I have no problem doing it manually. If I upgrade to the beta, does it automatically start trying to migrate my drives or prompt you first? How would I go about disabling the migration so I can keep using my drive while copying data.

Honestly, I don't care at all if it takes 2 months or 8 months or 12 months to migrate my data to a new format, if it means having access to it the entire time... For my use case, that still wins out over even 2-5 days of inaccessible downtime.

5 hours ago, srcrist said:

A Google search returns precisely zero results for that API error prior to this month. The earliest result that I can find was this result from a Japanese site 20 days ago.
 . . . 
Note also that this API error code (numChildrenInNonRootLimitExceeded) was added to Google's API reference sometime between April and June.

Yeah that's all consistent with my findings as well

I am also not having errors at the moment (which might be related to the fact that my account is a legitimate account at a large institution, and not a personal GSuite Business account) but I anticipate that we will all, eventually, need to migrate to a structure conformant with this new policy.

Thinking it's just a super slow staged rollout like I said before, cuz I'm just a single user business account, and I'm still having no problems as of right now.

I don't know why you seem so resistant to the notion that this is a change in Google's API that will need to be addressed by all of us sooner or later, but the objective information available seems to suggest that this is the case.

I tried. I gave up.

Day 7 - Entry 1

OUR SUPREME LEADER HAS SPOKEN! I received a response to my support ticket though it did not provide the wisdom I seek. You may call it an "Aladeen" response. My second drive is still stuck in "Drive Queued to perform recovery". I'm told this is a local process and does not involve the cloud yet I don't know how to push it to do anything. The "Error saving data. Cloud drive not found" at this time appears to be a UI glitch and it not correct as any changes that I make do take regardless of the error window. 

This morning I discovered that playing with fire hurts. Our supreme leader has provided a new Beta (1.2.0.1306). Since I have the issues listed above I decided to go ahead and upgrade. The Supreme leaders change log says that it lowers the concurrent I/O requests in an effort to stop google from closing the connections. Upon restart of my computer the drive that was previously actually working now is stuck in "Drive Initializing - Stablebit CloudDrive is getting ready to mount your drive". My second drive is at the same "Queued" status as before. Also to note is that I had a third drive created from a different machine that I tried to mount yesterday and it refused to mount. Now it says "drive is upgrading" but there is no progress percentage shown. Seems that is progress but the drive that was working is now not working. 

Seeking burn treatment. I hope help comes soon. While my data is replaceable it will take a LONG TIME to do. Until then my Plex server is unusable and I have many angry entitled friends and family. 

End Diary entry.

1 hour ago, Chase said:

Day 7 - Entry 1

OUR SUPREME LEADER HAS SPOKEN! I received a response to my support ticket though it did not provide the wisdom I seek. You may call it an "Aladeen" response. My second drive is still stuck in "Drive Queued to perform recovery". I'm told this is a local process and does not involve the cloud yet I don't know how to push it to do anything. The "Error saving data. Cloud drive not found" at this time appears to be a UI glitch and it not correct as any changes that I make do take regardless of the error window. 

This morning I discovered that playing with fire hurts. Our supreme leader has provided a new Beta (1.2.0.1306). Since I have the issues listed above I decided to go ahead and upgrade. The Supreme leaders change log says that it lowers the concurrent I/O requests in an effort to stop google from closing the connections. Upon restart of my computer the drive that was previously actually working now is stuck in "Drive Initializing - Stablebit CloudDrive is getting ready to mount your drive". My second drive is at the same "Queued" status as before. Also to note is that I had a third drive created from a different machine that I tried to mount yesterday and it refused to mount. Now it says "drive is upgrading" but there is no progress percentage shown. Seems that is progress but the drive that was working is now not working. 

Seeking burn treatment. I hope help comes soon. While my data is replaceable it will take a LONG TIME to do. Until then my Plex server is unusable and I have many angry entitled friends and family. 

End Diary entry.

I'm enjoying your diary entries as we are in the same boat... not laughing at you... but laughing/crying with you!

I know that this must be done to protect our data long term... it's just a painful process.

Well I went to bed leaving the process running - last I checked, it showed it was about 15% done. Woke up this morning, and now it indicates it is 2% done... Not going to lie, this seems very glitchy.

EDIT: I checked the service log and noticed that it was throwing up the "Server is unavailable" error. I upgraded to 1306 which did away with these errors, and the progress counter is increasing as well. However, the Google Drive web interface doesn't show any file activity, and the service log doesn't show anything happening either (verbose tracing is on). I'm really disappointed in how poorly this migration seems to have been implemented, and concerned my drive is toast somehow.

1 hour ago, sausages said:

Well I went to bed leaving the process running - last I checked, it showed it was about 15% done. Woke up this morning, and now it indicates it is 2% done... Not going to lie, this seems very glitchy.

EDIT: I checked the service log and noticed that it was throwing up the "Server is unavailable" error. I upgraded to 1306 which did away with these errors, and the progress counter is increasing as well. However, the Google Drive web interface doesn't show any file activity, and the service log doesn't show anything happening either (verbose tracing is on). I'm really disappointed in how poorly this migration seems to have been implemented, and concerned my drive is toast somehow.

Same behaviour for me. I submitted a ticket today to support.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, steffenmand said:

Screenshot_20200626-215218_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

Mine is the same as this!! It's frustrating, and I have tried every version including the latest one just released. It still shows no progress bar at all. I have no clue and it's been running (supposedly) for roughly 4 days with a few reboots in between...

5 minutes ago, Burrskie said:

Mine is the same as this!! It's frustrating, and I have tried every version including the latest one just released. It still shows no progress bar at all. I have no clue and it's been running (supposedly) for roughly 4 days with a few reboots in between...

I can see chunks being moved on my drive, so i know its running! We just have to give it time :-)

3 hours ago, Chase said:

Day 7 - Entry 1

End Diary entry.

I am seeing this too, except my second drive is a box drive and it is just stuck in the "Drive queued to perform recovery" as well. Since it's a box drive I would have thought it would be fine, but ever since this google drive upgrade I haven't been able to get my drive to load, ever.

10 minutes ago, steffenmand said:

I can see chunks being moved on my drive, so i know its running! We just have to give it time :-)

Where are you seeing the chunks move on the drive? is there a specific location I can look in Google Drive to see the chunks being moved?