BSOD on shutdown/restart on 2012R2E

henry.gray

Question

Hi, I am getting a BSOD on shutdown or restart with Server 2012R2 Essentials and Stablebit Drivepool 2.0, other than that everything works. The error is to do with 3rd party file system, I am assuming this is to with Drivepool but I am not sure,if it is does anyone have any idea on a possible fix?

Info: In the drivepool I have 3x WD Green Drives 2TB each.

Hi, its been a while since my last post and since the update of stablebit, I thought I would add that the error is still there and for some reason I cannot get the memory.dmp file from C:/Windows as it doesn't show up there, the error still reports as 3rd party file system, which I am assuming has to do with stablebit's drivepool.

Henry,

If it's not creating the dumps, then use the link above. The system may not be configured to take the crash dumps properly. And you MUST have the page file enabled on the system disk, as well. 

There is also a folder of "minidumps" in "C:\Windows\Minidump". If there are any files in there, then upload them.

Also which driver is specifically causing the issue? If it's CoveFS, then it is use, as that is the file system driver we use. If it's not... then it may not be. But post which it is.

Alternatively, you can use a utility called "WhoCrashed" to view the basic information, if it is there.

Ok so I use the whocrashed program and from what it says that mpfilter.sys is what is causing it.

From what I have read this is the malware protection driver, how can this be giving me BSOD?

I found out why I wasn't getting the dump file, for some apparent reason a backup of one of my folders was being backed up onto the c drive and eating the space I had left, so once  I remove it I was able to get the file.

Henry,

Thank you for uploading the dump.

And you're dead on. It's caused by "THIRD_PARTY_FILE_SYSTEM_FAILURE". 

Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure, as I'm definitely not the expert here.

However, I've flagged the dump for Alex (as he is), and he'll take a look at it.

In the meanwhile, I'd recommend excluding the Pool drive from being scanned by MSE (well, Windows Defender), just in case.

Also, are you on 2.0.0.420? If so, could you see about upgrading to 2.1.1.561?

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/5249

Yeah I am on 2.1.1.561 now, have been I think for 2 days, I am still getting the same problem, anyway I am using forefront for the AV as Server editions don't come with Defender, how will I remove the drivepool from being scanned for now?

Ok there is a part in forefront security where it asks you to choose where you do not want to scan, so I have put the pool in there.

The thing is it doesn't BSOD when its actually turned on or running, its only or shutdown or restart.

Ok there is a part in forefront security where it asks you to choose where you do not want to scan, so I have put the pool in there.

What version of Forefront do you have installed? And did you use any special method to get it installed?

And is this Server 2012R2 Essentials? Or is it 2012R2 Standard with the Essentials Experience role?

Well, in the meanwhile, is it possible to exclude the pooled drivers?

Also, It looks like Forefront isn't supported with any of the Small Business Server OSs. And that is technically what Essentials is. 

The best option here may be to uninstalled Forefront, at least until we can figure out why it's crashing like this during shutdown. 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away from the server configuration for the week.

I installed 1.5.1993.0 but the errors resulted every time I tried to configure a setting, so I uninstalled and all is normal again.

My attention is now focused on trying to figure out why I cannot connect a Win 7 Pro box to the server (The server is not available. Try connecting again....arrgh!)

I may come back to the Forefront issue later after I figure out my connection problem and will post if I try your suggestions. I will certainly be monitoring if someone comes up with a workaround.

Well, kobi001, you're using Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials, correct?

If so, make sure all of the "Windows Server Essentials" services are running (except for the email service, but especially the "Management" service.). 

Also, check the "Active Directory Certificate Service" is running as well. 

Speaking of destabilization.... From what I've seen Forefront isn't supported on Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials. I may be wrong, but that's what I've seen. And previous versions have not supported SBS versions, and that's basically what Essentials is.

Aside from that, exclude the program files for StableBit DrivePool (C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool) and exclude the PoolParts in the system. That may help.

henry.gray: I used the Tinkertry method when I tried the first time. Are you saying that you have you succeeded in installing Forefront using this method? Maybe there has been an update to WS2012R2E to allow Forefront to work? Maybe I missed something when duplicating the method. You had tried in June '14 and I in September '14 when it failed. I know that the Tinkertry method worked without DrivePool as I had tried it before installing DrivePool on my first build. Looking at the Tinkertry site the latest update to the installation method was May 3, 2014. I wonder what has changed?

henry.gray, please confirm that you have Forefront up and running and if you did anything differently than the method listed in the Tinkertry link.