File duplication enabled - wrong "free space" reported in Explorer

MiL0

Question

I use DrivePool as a kind of RAID-1 replacement.

I have 2 x 4TB hard disks and in WIndows Explorer it shows that I have 7.27TB as my Total Size for the DrivePool. At the moment, I have 1.58TB Free Space remaining.

Now, if I copy a 500GB file (for example) to the pool, my Free Space will reduce by 1TB (2 x 500GB as I have 2x file duplication enabled). Although this is correct, it's quite confusing to work out how much actual free space I have.

So, is there any way to get DrivePool to correctly report my Total Size and Free Space in Explorer? (ie - if we enable 2x file duplication, can DrivePool tell Windows to half the Total Size and Free Space amounts?)

2 answers to this question

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to handle this. Which is why we've left it as reporting the total free space available instead of altering it.

If everything in the pool was x2 duplicated, then it could make sense. But what if you have a folder that was only x1 duplicated... or x3+ duplicated. Then it starts getting even more confusing and the coding just gets complicated.