Pool drives seen as “regular drives”?

RBeatse

Question

I use Crashplan Pro to backup my data and one of the things that Crashplan does NOT do is backup NAS drives (something about the way Windows sees them or some such). Anyway, does a pool drive look like a regular internal or usb connected drive or does it look like a NAS drive to the Windows OS?  What if a I have NAS drives as part of the pool, does the answer change?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Pools behave as if they are regular NTFS formatted volumes. However, any software that uses VSS (which many backup solutions do) is not supported. I don't know Crashplan so couldn't say. Having said that, you could backup the underlying drives. If you use duplication, then Hierachical Pools can ensure that you only backup one instance of the duplicates.

1 hour ago, Umfriend said:Having said that, you could backup the underlying drives. If you use duplication, then Hierachical Pools can ensure that you only backup one instance of the duplicates.

My issue is that is any of the drives that are part of the pool are NAS, then I couldn’t backup them.  I was hoping that having them part of the pool would “hide” the fact that they are NAS. 

6 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

StableBit DrivePool supports NAS drives, but not network drives or locations.

When you say DP supports NAS drives, you mean HDDs that are marketed as NAS HDDs (like IronWolf PRO NAS HDDs) but attached through SATA/SAS/SCSI or USB?

12 hours ago, Umfriend said:

When you say DP supports NAS drives, you mean HDDs that are marketed as NAS HDDs (like IronWolf PRO NAS HDDs) but attached through SATA/SAS/SCSI or USB?

Correct.  It's the term both WDC and Seagate use for describing the drives. 

There are "Network Drives", which is the "Connect to" or "Add location" option in Windows that lets you mount a network folder to a drive letter.  These are not pool-able. 

There is also iSCSI, which does work. 

Basically, it has to show up in Disk Management. If it doesn't, it won't work, period.  And if it does show up, it needs to be a "basic" (not dynamic) disk, formatted as NTFS and larger than 8GB.