Need some advice regarding expansion of cloud drive pool

davel23

Question

I have a pool consisting of six 10 TB cloud drives with triple redundancy.  It's running low on space so I'd like to add some more drives for more space.  However, I want to make sure that the drive balancer doesn't try to move data from the existing drives to the new, empty ones as that will use a lot of unnecessary bandwidth.  I'd just like the new drives to fill up as data is added to the pool.  I also have an SSD as part of the pool using the SSD optimizer.  As I understand it the SSD optimizer uses the balancer to move files from the SSD to the other drives in the pool, I'd like to retain this functionality without the balancer trying to rebalance the entire pool.  What settings should I be using to achieve my goals?

6 answers to this question

The default/built in balancers are all to address edge cases.  So as long as your config doesn't fall into one of those edge cases, then you should be fine. 

Specifically, the two most common cases are one or more drives being more than 90% full. The other is the duplication space optimizer, and as long as you don't have any "Unusable for duplication" space, you should be safe from this. 

That said, we do generally recommend disabling other balancers when using the Balancer Plugins, like the SSD Optimizer, to help prevent weird interactions or unexpected behavior.  If you've done so, you shouldn't have to worry about the other balancers, or data being balanced. 

On 5/11/2020 at 4:08 AM, davel23 said:

So you're saying disable all other balancing plugins other than the SSD Optimizer? 

Yes.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:08 AM, davel23 said:

What about the Settings tab, what should those be set to?

Most of those can be left, as is. But that depends on what else you're doing. Mostly, if you're using file placement rules. 

That said, setting the balancing ratio to 100% may help.