Adding 12tb drive to Pool - Drive Not Accessible Access Denied

Moosekat

Question

Hi All, 

i have been using Drive Pool for many years now without any issue on Windows 10, and before that Windows Home Server. Last week one of my 4tb Red drives died, so it gave me an opportunity to increase my storage by buying a 12tb WD Elements and shucking it. I now have a 1.5tb, 2tb, 5tb and now a 12tb. 

All went fine. Tested it before shucking, Bios sees it once installed, Windows sees it to. All great. Add to the drive pool, and again working fine. Starts to optimise and move data all good. A couple of hours later, i get an error from Windows that says that there is a drive error and it needs a reboot to fix it. Going to the drive through file explorer shows that the drive is there, but now inaccessible. Thought this was odd, rebooted it and after a check log back in to find the drive still inaccessible and access is denied. Give permissions and get access to it. Remove from Drive Pool. Diskpart, clean reformat and add back to the pool. Again a few hours in again same error. Reboot, remove, clean, format etc. For the time being i have left it out the pool while i diagnose it..

i am at the moment running the WD diagnostics tool on the drive, but it has 17 hours left. All short tests have not shown any issues with the drive.

Any idea what is going on? Does Drive Pool accept 12tb drives??

Any other tests i should run to totally rule out a hardware issue??

Thanks

Nick 

4 answers to this question

All I can say is I have two 14TB WD and three 12TB WD drives all shucked (mix of Elements, My Book, Easystore), in my pool and recognized just fine. I have two 12TB and two 8TB shucked drives in an external USB enclosure and work fine too. I did have to tape the 3.3V pin on most of the drives though, but your system wouldn't even recognize it if that was the problem. If you can't get it to work I would consider exchanging it.

hey all,

i never had any issue with it seeing the drive. Bios was fine, win10 was fine so was Drive Pool. Went through days of testing of the drive using WD's software along with other ones - all no problem Formatted it and rejoined it to the pool, all fine. Finally after a day it has fully optimised no problem. Will keep an eye on this for the time

Nick 

I don't think size is a problem with drivepool.  I have multiple 26.7TB drives in drivepool without issues.  Each 26.7TB drive is actually a hardware raid.  Drivepool just sees it as any other large drive.  I can't say exactly if drive pool has a drive size limit, but if there is one, it's above 26.7TB.