SFTP-ing large movie files straight into a drive pool. Best practice?

Mr Ethernet

Question

Hi everyone, newbie here! :)

I read that active databases shouldn't be stored on a pooled drive, which I can sort of understand the logic behind; they're particularly delicate things.

Are there any similar concerns with SFTP-ing large files (i.e. ~30 GB) straight into the pooled storage area, as the growing part file is repeatedly being written to in a way that could maybe (but I suspect not) be considered similar to the way a database is repeatedly written to?

I've already downloaded a bunch of ~30 GB movie files straight into my pool and it seems to be working perfectly but was just wondering what the best practice is with regards to large downloads that take a long time (sometimes over an hour per file). Is anyone here downloading large files directly to one drive (outside the pool) and then moving the file into the drive pool folder after that or would that be completely unnecessary?

I suspect it's not an issue but just wanted to double check what the best practice is when downloading large files via FTP or SFTP!

3 answers to this question

Thanks Drashna.

It's been working perfectly for me so far. It looks like WinSCP buffers downloads in RAM quite a lot (I'll ask the developer for clarification) and it only updates its part files a few times per minute. Definitely isn't constantly thrashing the file in the same way as a database file might be constantly accessed.

I'll keep my WinSCP folder in my drive pool. Already downloaded over 1 TB straight into the pool so far and had zero problems!