Trial User - Scanner found bad sector on HDD, removed HDD from pool

gtaus

Question

I have a few days left on my Stablebit Scanner evaluation. A couple days ago, Scanner found a bad sector on a 5TB HDD in the pool. DrivePool removed all the files off that drive - took almost 2 days. So I checked the "bad" 5TB HDD with Windows 10 chkdsk and no errors are found. I checked the S.M.A.R.T. and everything is healthy there too. So, I appreciate Scanner finding a bad sector on my 5TB drive and moving all files on the HDD to other HDDs in the pool, but now I have a blank 5TB HDD that Windows thinks is fine but will not work in DrivePool because Scanner reports 1 bad sector.

Is there some way to "fix" this 5TB HDD so I can use it in DrivePool? Again, chkdsk found no errors so it never attempted to "fix" anything. Given the price of a 5TB HDD, I would like to get in back in service with DrivePool, if possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2 answers to this question

On 5/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, Umfriend said:

What you can do is tell Scanner to ignore this error (and just this one, not possible new ones). What I would do is have it scan the drive again. If it comes back with a bad sector, see if you can RMA it.

That only works for the SMART warnings. 

Otherwise, I would recommend flagging it as unchecked and let StableBit Scanner recheck it.

https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map

If it comes back as damaged still, then you may have a problem.  

In this case, a CHKDSK may not catch or fix this sort of issue.  Adding the "/B" flag may help, but probably not.  The best way is to force the disk to write to the damaged sector, and the easiest way to do that from Windows, is to do a full, non-quick format.

Otherwise, RMAing it isn't a bad idea, at all.