File Share error - Validation information class requested was invalid

Mental Floss

Question

I'm trying to set up a Windows 10 share on another network machine to be a Provider in CloudDrive, however after I use my Microsoft Account login info (the same hotmail-address account used to log into both client and "server" machines) it errors out with:

"Error Connecting to File Share" "The validation information class requested was invalid"

In the CloudDrive user manual it has a little information tidbit for File Share providers that lets me know:

"The connection to the file share is made using the Local System account from the machine that StableBit CloudDrive is running on, and not from your currently logged in account."

However, I entered my email address and password for my Microsoft Account.

Is this error because of how I entered my Microsoft Account info, or some other reason?

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the article; it's thick but a good read and gives insight into the what/how/maybe parts of situations like mine. 

Here's what ended up working for me:

1. On the Server, log in to the desktop with my Microsoft Account
    1. Run "cmd"
    2. The directory shown after Users was my "local username" for that computer. (ie: c:\Users\localusername)
  2. On the Client running CloudDrive
    1. Set up a File Share provider
    2. Make sure the username portion is in the format "servername\localusername" (ie: thinkpad\menta)

Great success!