Hardlink Support, again

Divine Warrior Ninjutsu

Question

Hello.

So I have been reading all the details about Hardlinks not supported and Symbolic links will basically do the same thing.  Here is my issue.  I teach various subjects and film videos that are quite large.  Many times these videos fit into multiple subjects and I had been using Hardlinks because it saves me space, and, I don't want the original to be deleted before I am done with the data that exists in another topic via a hardlink, especially since I lose track of how many times I used that video and where the original is.  So If I used a shortcut and delete one topic once I am finished with it, I may delete the data that only exists as a shortcut in another topic that would now no longer work.  Hardlinks solved that problem since the data doesn't actually delete until ALL hardlinks have been deleted.  How can I now work around this since Hardlinks are not supported?  Straight out copying the data which is huge is not an option.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

For DrivePool, hardlink support won't ever happen.  This is because of how hard links work.  

Specifically, hard link files basically link to the same set of data, on the same volume. They cannot exist across  disks/volumes, because the data resides on the volume. 

Because the driver for StableBit DrivePool pool drive forwards the info to the underlying disks, there isn't a way to support hard links.  And even if there was, it would be expensive in terms of performance.  And since that happens in the kernel, that could grind the system to a halt. 

46 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For DrivePool, hardlink support won't ever happen.  This is because of how hard links work.  

Specifically, hard link files basically link to the same set of data, on the same volume. They cannot exist across  disks/volumes, because the data resides on the volume. 

Because the driver for StableBit DrivePool pool drive forwards the info to the underlying disks, there isn't a way to support hard links.  And even if there was, it would be expensive in terms of performance.  And since that happens in the kernel, that could grind the system to a halt. 

Yes, that's basically what I said.  My question was, what are my alternatives to achieve a similar result?

46 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yes that's basically what I said.  My question was, what are alternatives to achieve a similar result?