Hiding Drives

easyrider

Question

10 answers to this question

12 hours ago, easyrider said:

I would still like to access the data on the single drives...

In that case, remove the drive letters but map the drives to folders within the Pool. I don;t know exactly how that works but it can be done and has been discussed here in the fora.

You can remove the drive letters and map to folder paths.  We actually have a guide on how to do this:
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

On 4/23/2020 at 9:56 AM, easyrider said:

Thanks...that’s a cool little program...would be great to have something like that built into drive pool...

It would be, but the only problem is that it would be too easy to break existing configurations.  Which is why we don't have the option to do so.   

On 4/24/2020 at 9:55 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You can remove the drive letters and map to folder paths.  We actually have a guide on how to do this:
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

It would be, but the only problem is that it would be too easy to break existing configurations.  Which is why we don't have the option to do so.   

If I mount the drives in the pool to say C:\DrivePool\"  and in the future format my windows drive...How to I access the data on the drives?

Apologies if this is  a noob question....I just dont want to break anything.  :)

You'd just remount the drives. 

The "mount folders" are a "reparse point" that just tell the system to "look at this volume".  So the data isn't actually on the C: drive. 

Since formatting or repartitioning just wipes the C: volume, those pointers are removed.  The pooled drives are not touched, at all. Other than having the mount points removed. 

16 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You'd just remount the drives. 

The "mount folders" are a "reparse point" that just tell the system to "look at this volume".  So the data isn't actually on the C: drive. 

Since formatting or repartitioning just wipes the C: volume, those pointers are removed.  The pooled drives are not touched, at all. Other than having the mount points removed. 

Brilliant thanks...