Building an Epyc server

Ryo

Question

Hello all........

im looking to build a server for both a home server and blue iris server but also a cloud backup server.. is this possible with windows 2019 essentials? microsoft says i need standard due to unknown user count.. is there a way maybe with clouddrive to bypass the 25 user limit of essentials and have an unlimited number of users back up to my server? i have a decent system idea in mind but need to solve this issue.. if im not clear enough please ask any questions and ill try to answer them....

4 answers to this question

Just a heads-up: Are you aware of the differences between WSE2019 and WSE2016? WSE2019 basically misses everything that made it sort of a SOHO-OS.

If by "have an unlimited number of users back up to my server?" you mean the client backup function of WSE you're SOL. It is gone.

AFAIK, Clouddrive (and I don't use it and know nothing about it) is a single user app. It does not allow multiple users to access/write the data. Check that first.

For CloudDrive, it runs as a system service. So it won't count as using a user account seat.  So you're good on that account.

However, umfriend is right, Windows Server 2019 Essentials has no client backup. No dashboard, no remote access website.  It's Server Standard, with licenses for up to 25 user seats (CAL's) built into it, basically.  None of the bells and whistles that made Essentials ... Essential. 

You can run the 2016 WSEE (Windows Server Essentials Experience) on 2019 - I upgraded my server this very weekend to 2019 and still have client backup, dashboard etc.  See here

https://www.theofficemaven.com/news/installing-windows-server-essentials-experience-on-windows-server-2019

for the dirty details.  It isn't for the faint hearted though.  At the very least you'll need to be able to do a clean 2016 install and stop before configuring the WSEE component in order to grab the unmodified files and registry entries.  Then you get to do a 2019 install and copy a bazillion files etc before running the configuration.  But it definitely does work.  I did client backups and server backup last night with no issues. And, being a paranoid kind of bloke, I did a bare metal reinstall of a scratch machine from the client backup and it worked just fine.

In a side note - I was immensely impressed at how DrivePool and Scanner handled the move - I just entered my keys, it noticed that it was the same hardware and instant authorisation with no impact (so far as I can see) on the three other Scanner licences and two other DP licenses I have running.  I wish other companies were this smart about licensiing.

Note to Christopher - I don't know if I've broken site etiquette by posting this - I hope not.  But if I have I'll completely understand if you delete this post.

Yeah, that's questionably, at best.  

Basically, doing that outright breaks the license, much in the same way that hacking reFS support or data deduplication support into an OS that doesn't support these.   You're adding unpatched, and unpatchable binaries to the installation.  And especially as part of that is web facing.....