Scanner continues to warn about damaged drives after problem no longer exists

Nerva

Question

I had this happen to me some years ago...

...and the support here ultimately had to have me reset all my settings in order to fix the problem, so I find it very disappointing that this bug still hasn't been fixed.

I had a new drive suffer an "issue" and some sectors (a few kb) were damaged that had files on them.   Since I had file duplication, I actually just went and deleted the damaged versions and reran the scan, which keeps coming up clean.   Except Scanner continues to pop up warnings telling me the now non-existent files are still damaged.   When I rerun the file scan, it finds nothing wrong, yet the warning continues to pop up.   This is exactly what happened previously.

This is a really stupid bug -- you guys need to fix this.

2 answers to this question

Do you mean after formatting?  If so, then you'd need to clear the status.  The status is handled independently of Windows or any data it stores, since it doesn't actually log the same things. So there is no real way to hook into that.

If you clear the status of the damaged sectors, it will rescan them, and if they're fixed, it will clear them.  Otherwise, it will reflag them. 

So, isn't the HDD supposed to take those clusters out of use if they're bad?   Is there a way to tell if it has done that?

Another thing that would be cool is if Scanner and Drivepool worked together on these sorts of things, where if Scanner detects a damaged file that has a duplicate, Drivepool will then remove the bad version and replace it with a new duplicate that is based on the duplicate that wasn't corrupted.