Scanner Not Reading SMART Data

mrpleb

Question

Hi all,

My setup:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Scanner version: 2.5.6.3336
  • 1- Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (boot drive)
  • 4 - Seagate 4TB SAS Drives (3 data, 1 parity), model ST4000NM0023
  • Pool drives are connected via an HBA (Dell H200) to a SAS backplane

I've recently downloaded Drivepool and Scanner as a test run for a new media server. So far, I really like drive pool and it's been a breeze to use. For that reason, I will likely purchase a key, once my trial has expired. As for Scanner, I have had a few problems that I can't seem to remedy.

1. SMART data appears to be disabled for all the drive in my pool and does not report information that most other software does report.
  2. I am being notified via e-mail from Scanner of an unstable sector on my boot drive but all scanner tests show the drive as health and the smart data does not show any non-zero values in the sector section of the report.

Any advice would be appreciated!

1 answer to this question

On 3/25/2020 at 4:57 AM, mrpleb said:
  • 4 - Seagate 4TB SAS Drives (3 data, 1 parity), model ST4000NM0023

This is a SAS drive, and doesn't report SMART. It uses a different method for reporting drive health (SAS information), which isn't implemented in StableBit Scanner.

Additionally, if the drives are in a hardware RAID array, then it won't show the individual drives.