New and don't know how this works, don't want to loose data.

wakirk2002

Ok, I tried both the StableBit Drive Pool and Scanner, Love them, I've already kicked Drive Pool all over the place and it held up, so, it's gonna replace Spaces for my drives, and Scanner already helped me save the life of my drives because I didn't realize my enclosure was cooking the disks.  So, I am going to pick them up.  Now, Cloud Drive.  This part is confusing to me.

I had already understood (in concept) that it creates a local disk that gives a view of Google Drive. (which is what I want to use it for) and I've 'connected' my google account to Could Drive.  But the next screen stopped me in my tracks.

For 'Create...'ing a drive, Cloud Drive Size, Local Cache, Cache Type all made sense to me.
I already have very important files on my Google Cloud I don't want to loose, so I didn't select encryption or duplication.
Then I pulled down Advanced options.....

Local Cache Drive only allows me to select any of my internal drives, none of my other usb disks show up, 
Then it goes into Sector Size / Chuck Size / Chunk Cache Size and [x] verify chunk integrity which I don't know much about but would assume the defaults are reasonable for now... however.......

Format the Drive and Assign a Drive Letter.....  Woah! stop.
Format what, exactly?  What is being formatted?  The local disk?, erasing my Google Drive?, what are we talking about here?
this is so super unclear that it is a 100% show stopper and why I am here.   I do not want to risk either my local drive or my google drive.
 and then NTFS and Windows Default for the last two format options that made me come to a complete halt.

I don't want to format anything, I am only seeing my local C: (boot) and D: (data) drives, not seeing any of my USB drives (not thumbs) and is connected to my google drive that I have stuff on I don't want to loose, and it's asking me to format something..... 

Could someone please explain this?  I thought I would be able to have (for this example) an E: that is a good (view/copy/cache whatever) of my Google Drive that I can access and edit.

Also, on my google drive, some of the documents we use take advantage of drives' history feature.  (actually, it might be part of google sheets, it's a spreadsheet we use and sometime look at history on)  What I was hoping to do is be able to use DrivePool and keep a local backup copy of all our work on google drive.

So, what is this format option all about, what's getting formatted and how does it affect google drive?

On 3/23/2020 at 5:47 AM, wakirk2002 said:

I had already understood (in concept) that it creates a local disk that gives a view of Google Drive. (which is what I want to use it for) and I've 'connected' my google account to Could Drive.  But the next screen stopped me in my tracks.

This is an incorrect assumption, and probably the cause of most misunderstandings.

StableBit CloudDrive does not show you what is on the provider.  Instead, it creates a virtual drive, breaks that up into blocks/chunks, and then stores those chunks on the provider in question.