Question about my setup

ndr

Question

Hi,

I just started using CloudDrive for syncing data to Google Drive and so far it works great, uploading around 750GB / day :)
I tried tweaking some settings based on user recommendations here but I got some questions about my workflow and if I should change it because of optimal performance etc...

My current setup looks like this:

Hardware and connection:

• x2 SSD M.2 disks with following volumes:
  • Disk 1 - C: 500GB (OS) Disk
  • Disk 2 - E: 500GB (CloudDrive cache)
  • 30GB (expandable)
  • CloudDrive D: 60TB (Google Drive)
  • 500/500Mbit fiber connection

I/O Performance settings

• Download threads = 10
  • Upload threads = 5
  • Download throttling = 200 Mbits/s
  • Upload throttling = 75 Mbits/s
  • Upload threshold: 1,00 MB or 5 min
  • Minimum download size: 20MB
  • Prefetcher trigger = 10MB
  • Prefetch forward 100MB
  • Prefetch time window = 10 sec

My current workflow looks like this:

> Radar/Sonarr/Qbitorrent sends data to D:\Temp\
> CloudDrive is set to use E: as cache volume.
> Radarr/Sonarr/Qbitorrent does it's magic and sorts the data etc and moves around the folders from D:\Temp\ to different subfolders like D:\Movies etc.

Then I have my Plex on the same machine installed on the C drive grabbing all data etc (you know the drill).

My question is;

As you can see with the workflow above, everything lands directly into the virtual drive and gets cached on a different drive.
Is this a good way to transfer files to GDrive or should I change where my temp data is stored before sending it to Google Drive? Or is the application smart enough to handle it?
So far I haven't come across any issues yet but maybe I'm doing it wrong and there are better "optimal" ways to do it?

4 answers to this question

13 hours ago, srcrist said:

I don't see anything wrong with that. The thing you want to avoid for optimization is doing other work on the same drive that's being used for the cache. You're not doing that, so you should be good. 

Hi @srcrist,

Thanks for the reply.

One thing I'm thinking about is the "temp folder" location. Since everything is first downloaded to temp which is my GDrive before being handled, does that increase the data usage?
Since there is cap of 750GB/day I want to avoid unnecessary traffic between my PC <> GDrive.

For example which of these two scenarios require least data sent to GDrive?

1. Download files directly to GDrive temp
2. Extract files in same folder
3. Move .mkv file to \Movies\ folder on same GDrive
4. Delete .rar files

1. Download files to local PC temp
2. Extract files in same folder
3. Move .mkv files to \Movies\ folder on GDrive
4. Delete locally stored .rar files

My first guess is that #1 require more data sent but I don't know how Google/CloudDrive handles step 2-4 and what impact they have for the data usage.

Sorry for my stupid questions but I am not that good at this :)

Option one would use more data, but you could simply extract directly to the cloud drive without using any more data. The move will take place at the file system level and will not use any additional data. Downloading the compressed files to the cloud, and then extracting them to the cloud, though, does use additional data. Because the data from the extraction has to be created during the extraction process. Once extracted, no new data will need to be uploaded for a move. The same as a local drive.