A question on Duplication that is already established.

acdcking12

Question

So I have Duplication set with X2 for the files in a specific directory.

If I add more files to that directory, will it automatically duplicate these new files?  And if so, does it only happen at a set time or will it happen as soon as the new files are copied?

I added some and I havent seen the duplication start yet, so that is why I was asking.

4 answers to this question

In my experience and that is withou using any add-ins (to DP), if you copy/save/move files to a Pool (not to a underlying drive), it is duplicated right away, i.e., it is saved on two disks instantly.

All other duplication that may occur "later", I think, relates to (a) setting duplication to a larger number and/or (B) copy/save/move files to a poolpart folder (or subfolder therof) on an individual drive.

Luckilly, Drashna or Shane will dorp by to explain how it really works.

What exactly have you done and observerd?

Well, I have the full drive duplicated x2. What I was interested in was the fact that I have around 1.5 gig of data that says other. And it is in grey. That was why I was asking. Didn't know

What that was, so I assumed it was not immediately duplicating. But this was after several hours.

That made me think there was a delay or it wasn't doing something correctly

Oh, take a look at http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/

Basically, not all files on a drive are duplicated such as the deeper hidden systemvolumeinformation folder (and other files saved outside the poolpart folders on a drive). I have about 4.3GB Other and have seen far higher numbers (I think with people who have Shadow Copies enabled).

So I have Duplication set with X2 for the files in a specific directory.

If I add more files to that directory, will it automatically duplicate these new files?  And if so, does it only happen at a set time or will it happen as soon as the new files are copied?

I added some and I havent seen the duplication start yet, so that is why I was asking.

If you have Real-time duplication enabled (default, I beleive), it will write to both disks in parallel (simultaneously).  If it is not enabled, then I believe at 2am, it makes a pass, checks all the files and then duplicates any files that need to be duplicated.

Well, I have the full drive duplicated x2. What I was interested in was the fact that I have around 1.5 gig of data that says other. And it is in grey. That was why I was asking. Didn't know

What that was, so I assumed it was not immediately duplicating. But this was after several hours.

That made me think there was a delay or it wasn't doing something correctly

This could be VSS files (previous versions), files outside of the pool, or ... discrepancy of actually used space, vs NTFS's reported use space (remember, a 10byte file uses up a full sector, be it a 512bytes or 4kb sector)