Made W7 image backup - upgraded in place to W10

dsteinschneider

Question

Apologize that I haven't begun researching this before asking the question but figured perhaps someone here might have encountered what is happening. I made an image backup of my DrivePool dedicated storage server computer running on Windows 7 and then ran the Windows 10 upgrade assistant just to see what would happen. The upgrade appeared to go fine and Drive Pool seems to be operating fine. The issue we're encountering is very slow transfer speeds from that machine to other computers on the network. Hopefully it's just the network driver Win10 used but wanted to see if this happened to anyone else? Would be very easy to revert to Win7 - should I?

3 answers to this question

I put a new TP Link 1gb network card in just to eliminate that as a potential cause. It's something related to DrivePool. I copied a 5GB file to a share on the boot drive which has no DrivePool related folders. That file immediately copied at the speed expected. It's files on the DrivePool drive that take almost a minute to start copying. StableBit Scanner says all drives are healthy. 

Shoud I reinstall DrivePool?

Thanks

EDIT1: I'm realizing that it could be the MediaSonic HP1-SS3 Sata card drivers as the Pool drives are operating off two ProBoxes connected to it.

EDIT2: Updated to MediaSonic 3.3.2.0 - didn't help

EDIT3: The recent Amazon reviews of the HP1-SS3 are complaining about issues with Windows 10. On Windowss 7 this card solved all kinds of headaches I was having with Rosewill two port multiplex capable pcie card. 

I think I'm going to back to Windows 7

I used Veeam endpoint protection to restore the Win7 image. The motherboard broadcom 57XX gigabit ethernet on the motherboard would only run at 10MB for some  reason on Win10. The AsMedia based SIL3132 driver was wonky. File transfers took a minute before the file would start to copy. 

One of the rare times the Windows 10 upgrade was horrible. Nothing but DrivePool and Scanner run on the machine so I'm going to stick with W7 until I hear about a solid Win10 compatible mutliplex capable SATA PCIe card.