Simple Question

RobbieH

Question

Sorry I haven't been using DrivePool for a while and now I can't remember how to do the simplest of things.

I have two 4TB drives that I want to be the primary drives with no redundancy between them. Then I have an 8TB drive that I want to be the redundant drive for both of the 4TB. I can't remember how to set up the balancer for this situation. I seem to remember it being pretty easy, but poking around I can't find it.

Was it possibly done through the use of the SSD Optimizer plug-in? (I don't think that's it...)

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, RobbieH said:

Sorry I haven't been using DrivePool for a while and now I can't remember how to do the simplest of things.

I have two 4TB drives that I want to be the primary drives with no redundancy between them. Then I have an 8TB drive that I want to be the redundant drive for both of the 4TB. I can't remember how to set up the balancer for this situation. I seem to remember it being pretty easy, but poking around I can't find it.

Was it possibly done through the use of the SSD Optimizer plug-in? (I don't think that's it...)

Simple answer is, you don't. 

The best way to do this would be be to add the 2x4TB drives to a pool, and then add that pool and the 8TB disk to another pool.  Enable redundancy on the top level pool.  

That would get you what you want. 

The duplication optimizer on its own will duplicate across all three disks.

So this is for a Plex server. I have two 4TB WD Red drives that are my main "write to" drives. I don't want to write primarily to the third drive.

Let's say the main drives are Drive A and Drive B. I don't want them to duplicate from A > B or B > A. I have a shingled 8TB drive that I want to be the redundant data drive. So I want A > C and B > C but not C > A or B, and again not A > B or B > A. Think of it as C is the redundancy, so only redundant data to C, but reads available from A, B, or C

I can't use data types (mkv, m4v) because those should be going to A and B both.

I had it set up like this on the older server, but I can't remember how I did it.

Yeah, so now you have

Drive A + B = Pool X (with x1 duplication)

Pool X + Drive C = Pool Y (with x2 duplication)

You can choose to store files in Pool X (and then they will not be duplicated and present on Drive A and B )

Or store them in Pool Y (and then they will be duplicated and present on Drive A/B for one instance and Drive C for the other instance).

So you need to move the files from Pool X to Pool Y.

The best way to do this is to "seed" them. You would:
1. Stop the DrivePool service
2. In drive A, locate the hidden Poolpart.* folder. The top level shows (part of) Pool X. Locate the hidden PoolPart.* folder within the first, that is (part of) Pool Y. Move files from the outer/first Poolpart.* folder to the inner/second PoolPart.* folder
3. Do the same for drive B
4. Start DrivePool service.

DP will now, for Pool Y, find a shitload of unduplicated files and start a duplication run, in this case copying such files from drives A/B to drive C.

Not sure what OS you use but you may need to keep in mind that shares do not automatically follow (i.e. in WSE2016 I would move ServerFolders through the WSE2016 dashboard, even if that takes a long time).

As an aside, I would actually create three Pools. Pool X = Drives A/B, Pool Y = drive C and Pool Z = Pool X and Pool Y. I think it makes it easier to manage when adding/replacing drives. Only Pool Y would have x2 duplication. The procedure above still holds.