Specific Balancing settings

chaostheory

Question

Hello, 
I'm thinking about adjusting my balancing settings, but can't seem to find the option I want.

I have SSD Optimizer with 1 TB of space (2x 1 TB SSD in RAID1) and 300 TB pool behind it. 

Right now my Balancer settings are as follows: 

• Automatic Balancing
  • Balance every day at 00:30
  • Automatic Balancing - Triggers
  • If the balance ratio falls below: 90%
  • [x] Or if at least this much data needs to be moved: 100 GB

The thing is, this doesn't satisfy my needs. There are days when I write few gigabytes to the pool and there are days I'm writing 700 GB to the pool. 

2 questions:

A ) Is there any setting that will allow me to always keep my SSD Optimizer partition at 50% full? That means last 500 GB written of my data always remains on SSD partition. If I write additional 250 gigabytes and my SSD partition has 750 GB of data, then automatic balancing at 00:30 only moves the data to the 300 TB pool until there's 500 GB left on SSD partition and leaves rest of the data on SSD.

If it's not possible then maybe plan B:

B ) Balance every day at 00:30, but only balance 300 GB per night, no matter how much free space is left on SSD partition. 

Best regards

1 answer to this question

On 2/16/2020 at 3:42 AM, chaostheory said:

A ) Is there any setting that will allow me to always keep my SSD Optimizer partition at 50% full? That means last 500 GB written of my data always remains on SSD partition. If I write additional 250 gigabytes and my SSD partition has 750 GB of data, then automatic balancing at 00:30 only moves the data to the 300 TB pool until there's 500 GB left on SSD partition and leaves rest of the data on SSD.

Not really.  The option really is "Once it gets to the point to balance, then balancing everything we can".  

On 2/16/2020 at 3:42 AM, chaostheory said:

B ) Balance every day at 00:30, but only balance 300 GB per night, no matter how much free space is left on SSD partition. 

Basically, the same answer as above, actually.