Merging Two Pools Into One

Sammy

Question

I have two PC's, one an older Windows 7 machine that I am taking out of service. It has a vast collection of drives, 1Tb, 2Tb, 4Tb that are currently very full and are in a StableBit Drive Pool. The other machine is a newly built Windows 10 machine with lots of drive bay space. I am currently taking two 2Tb drives out of the pool on each machine (total 8Tb) to move them to the new computer and put all the data in an 8Tb drive back in the pool. I also have several other drives on the old Windows 7 machine that are still in a pool but do not have much space for removing them.

The question is this.. How do I physically move these drives to the new machine and incorporate them into the other drive pool?

Win 7 Machine Drive Pools.JPG

Win 10 Machine Drive Pools.JPG

Win 10 Machine Drives.JPG

Win7 Machine Drives.JPG

6 answers to this question

I'm having an issue with one of my drives. It won't show up in Explorer unless it is in an External USB Drive Dock.  In the Drive Pool settings it says it is an External Drive when the drive is in the Dock but it shows as missing yet still states it is an external drive when the drive is connected directly to the system bus. How to get this drive to show when it is connected directly to the MoBo?

On 2/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, Sammy said:

Is this still valid with two pools on two separate PC's?

No. You'd have to move the disks from one system to another. 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Sammy said:

I'm having an issue with one of my drives. It won't show up in Explorer unless it is in an External USB Drive Dock.  In the Drive Pool settings it says it is an External Drive when the drive is in the Dock but it shows as missing yet still states it is an external drive when the drive is connected directly to the system bus. How to get this drive to show when it is connected directly to the MoBo?

My guess is that this is an issue with the drive's partition table.  Some external encloses "modify" it so that the disks will only work in the enclosure.   

You can repartition the drive once it's plugged into the system directly, but you'd lose all the data that is on that drive. 

I figured it out. I needed to use a Molex to SATA adapter due to the way the drive was initialized. I moved the data using a USB 3 dock then formatted it but it still gave me fits until I remembered reading about this issue. It's all good now and I am up and running on one PC with all drives in the same 40Tb pool..

14 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I figured it out. I needed to use a Molex to SATA adapter due to the way the drive was initialized. I moved the data using a USB 3 dock then formatted it but it still gave me fits until I remembered reading about this issue. It's all good now and I am up and running on one PC with all drives in the same 40Tb pool..

Oh, that sounds like the "reset"3.3v pin issue with the SATA power connector, for white label drives. 

If you look that up, you should see what I mean... and that's problem it.