New to DrivePool, help with setup

Johann

Question

Hello!

I’m new to DrivePool but I think I will go ahead and purchase but I have questions about a setup I’m planning. How well will my setup work?

System

• 256GB M.2 Boot Drive
  • 256GB 2.5in SSD

Pool #1

• 1TB M.2 SSD CACHE

Pool

• 5x 8TB HDD (ordered file placement)

Parity

• 1x 8TB (Snapraid set to sync every 24/hr)

Pool #2

• 1TB 2.5in SSD Cache

Pool

• 2x10TB HDD (Ordered file placement)

Parity

• 1x10TB HDD (Snapraid set to sync every 24/hr)

Plans:

1. Boot off M.2 but mirror to a 2.5SSD
  2. Store on Pool#1
  3. Because Snapraid isn’t real time, I will use DrivePool to duplicate certain folder real time to Pool#2
  4. Snapraid will calculate the parity for both pools every night
  5. Use DrivePool scanner to monitor all the drives
  6. MAYBE: Also duplicate specific Pool #1 files (the ones beings duplicated to pool#2) to cloud using DrivePool/CloudDrive

• Can I use M.2 for my cache?
  • What if the file I’m moving to my pool is larger than my SSD cache?
  • Is it possible to have two snapraid arrays?
  • Would the duplication real time and then Snapraid at night be good for redundancy and recovery?
  • Would an i5-8600k and 16GB of ddr4 be enough for this system? I don’t plan to run much on it, mainly this NAS. I might few smaller services along with this. Maybe plex

5 answers to this question

I really wouldn't know but I would wonder whether you'd be better off just using DP with x2 and a CloudDrive or a real backup solution. I am not familiar with SnapRaid but in your setup, as far as I can tell, you'd have data stored in Pool 1 and Pool 2 and then have both duplicates protected by parity. So, you'd use more storage capacity then either a simple x2 duplicaiton or x1 duplication + parity setup.

You have single files in excess of 1TB? Anyway, it would then simply write to the archive things.

BTW, if it is a NAS, what kind of network do you have? If it is "just' a 1Gb network, then there really is no need for SSD caches.

On streaming and Snapraid I can't be sure but for the storage/DP part, a simple Celeron with 4GB would do the job even.

Oh, and did you have a look at Scanner?

Thanks for the response! So I have a 1gb network at the moment. 10gb capable tho with CAT6a. I don't have files over 1tb but just wondering :)

I do want it as a NAS. What would a real backup solution be? I don't want to use cloud just yet, what solution would you recommend so that I have good protection? the 1x duplication and using parity with the second pool?

What you have would work, but I do agree with Umfriend. 

Adding all of the disk to the pool and enabling duplication would be a better option, IMO.  

In either case, it sounds like you will want to use the SSD Optimizer balancer plugin. 
StableBit DrivePool Balancer Plugins

You could have just one Pool with some files duplicated and others not.

I understand you want good protection, but against what exactly? One drive failure? Accidental deletions? Fire/theft?

For one drive failure and continuity, DP with x2 duplicarion is, IMHO, better (by far) but at the cost of needing more storage capacity.

Just some thoughts.