Want to run StableBit Scanner but scared

Tatts4Life

Question

I have both StableBit Scanner and Drivepool. Years ago I ran the scanner and it found an error and removed the drive and files. I didn't lose anything but it scared me because I didn't want to lose any data. Today I opened StableBit Scanner and got a notice of a S.M.A.R.T. Warning for one of my drives in the status row. I click on the disk and it says The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, somewell known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing. Under current prnding sector count it says there are 2 unstable sectors on the hard disk.

What I'm scared of is that if I run scanner it will remove my drive from the drive pool and try and move whatever data is on there to my other drives. The problem is my other drives currently don't have enough space I think. Is there a way to run scanner and not have it remove my data if it finds a problem? Does that warning mean I need to get a new drive?

8 answers to this question

So in DP, there are a number of balancers. One of them, by default, is Stablebit Scanner. If you de-activate that one then DP will not migrate (you can also set parameters within that balancer to determine what kind of things would cause an evacuation). Having said that, if the number of unstable sectors increases then I would want to make sure I had enough space to replace. I would be comfortable with 2 sectors but force Scanner to re-scan and if that number increases then, yeah, probably a good idea to at least add a disk. Whether this disk needs to be taken out depends on preferences, duplication and backup situation.

BTW, the evacuation will never itself cause data-loss. If there is not enough space to move then either nothing will be moved or as much as possible basically.

6 hours ago, Tatts4Life said:

What I'm scared of is that if I run scanner it will remove my drive from the drive pool and try and move whatever data is on there to my other drives. The problem is my other drives currently don't have enough space I think. Is there a way to run scanner and not have it remove my data if it finds a problem? Does that warning mean I need to get a new drive?

StableBit Scanner only does this for drives that have unreadable sectors, aka "damaged sectors" found during the surface scan. It does not do so, if you have SMART warning, at least by default. 

In fact, both behaviors are controlled by the "StableBit Scanner" balancer plugin in StableBit DrivePool.   And can be disabled, or more finely tuned (such as only evacuating unduplicated data). 

6 hours ago, Tatts4Life said:

Under current prnding sector count it says there are 2 unstable sectors on the hard disk.

I would go ahead and replace this drive.  Generally, if you start seeing these, the drive is actively heading for failure. It may take months, or it may take days. It can be hard to know, for sure.    

If it's under warranty, get the drive RMA'ed.

So I ran into a very weird situation. I ran the scan on all my drives even one that SB Scanner told me ~3-4 years ago had some bad sections. I never took it out of my computer for some reason that I can't remember. Well when I ran the scanner it told me the drive I started this thread for had 22.0 KB unreadable on the disk (44 sectors). thankfully it was only 2 files affected and doing a file scan I found out it was two of my most recent 4K movies I ripped. So I'm guessing that means I'll have to go out and buy a new drive right? What sucks is this is the newer of my 3 pooled drives. Of course it's only newer by about 4 months compared to my other two. I would of thought one of the older drives would of gone bad first.

Now here is the weird thing, That old Hard Drive I mentioned that had warnings years ago? It came back as being a healthy drive and nothing was wrong with it. How the heck does something like that even happen?

On 2/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, Tatts4Life said:

Now here is the weird thing, That old Hard Drive I mentioned that had warnings years ago? It came back as being a healthy drive and nothing was wrong with it. How the heck does something like that even happen?

depending on the errors, they can change/go away, etc.    Also, StableBit Scanner will pick up communication issues as unreadable sectors. So if it rescans the drive, it can come back clean.  

As for the affected drives, if they're still unhealthy, you may be able to RMA the drives if they're still under warranty.