Can I resize partitions in drivepool with disk manager in windows

slongmire

Question

Here's the hardware setup - two identical 12 tb drives, each identically partitioned (GUID) as 4..89Tb and  2.38 Tb. Then TWO Drivepools (Q and M) are created with pool file duplication, one consisting in the 4.89 TB partitions and the other (M) in the 2.38Tb partitions. This system has worked very well thus far -- my ripped blu-rays mkvs are on M and my general data is on Q. However - as my movie library has grown much faster and larger than anticipated, I need more space on M and less on Q. SO - the $1million question ---

Can I use Windows Disk Manager to resize the partitions by first shrinking Q and then expanding M? Or would I have to break the pools and do this operation on each of the constituent disks separately and then rebuild the pools? 

Thanks so much for your kind help - Apologies for making my system complex, but it is all housed in an ITX enclosure so there's no room to add another disk or two.

2 answers to this question

I think you can. Just be sure you stop the drivepool service prior to doing this (and I am not even sure this is necessary, but I would) and restart service (or reboot) after you finish. Assuming Disk Management does not screw up, the data should be safe in any case because everything is stored in plain NTFS format. Of course, a backup never hurts. An alternative is the free version of EaseUS Partition Manager..

I wouldn't recommend resizing the partitions. At least, not without removing the drive from the pool first.   

Most disk utilities will change some of the information for the partition/volume in question, and that can cause issues for StableBit DrivePool.  So it may be simpler to just remove the drive first.