Question on duplication

acdcking12

Question

Hello,

Completely new here.  I am still on my trial currentlly.  I have a 8 drives of various sizes combined into one large drive. I also turned on folder duplication. Everything appears to be going well.

A question on the duplication. If I all of a sudden had one drive go out completely so that drivepool claims is was missing, could I simply remove it from the pool, replace it with another drive, add it to the pool and I would not lose data at all?

Wasnt Sure if drivepool duplication was considered backup or not because it protected from a hardware failure..

3 answers to this question

If everything stored in the pool is duplicated, then you should be able to do as you describe and not lose any data.  I hope by "combined into one large drive"  you mean that you have pooled them using DrivePool so that the DrivePool UI shows all 8 of your individual disks.  Duplication only works if DrivePool sees multiple disks in the pool.

If everything stored in the pool is duplicated, then you should be able to do as you describe and not lose any data.  I hope by "combined into one large drive"  you mean that you have pooled them using DrivePool so that the DrivePool UI shows all 8 of your individual disks.  Duplication only works if DrivePool sees multiple disks in the pool.

I did pool all of my discs so that the drivepool UI shows all 8 drives. I was just making sure I was ok with data retention and safety.

Then, yes, in this case. If a drive completely fails, and everything is duplicated:

YOu'd just remove the disk, and let StableBit DrivePool start duplicating the files to the new disk, basically.

However, this is why we also recommend using and purchasing StableBit Scanner. It grabs SMART warnings from the disks, as well as read their health status. And when doing this, it can evacuate a damaged disk, hopefully before it fails. 

But that is only if there are warnings about the drives health before it fails.